14 gallon reef tank making progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe, may be why calc and alk have been low, but I have seen a lot of tanks way more stocked than mine. Now that I have realized the deficiency I have been dedicated to correcting it. Since I started dosing I have seen my chalice grow two more mouths in a matter of weeks. Do you have any suggestions for keeping a happy nano tank with a heavy coral stock? I'm definitively all ears & want everything to thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Just supplement where needed, if needed and do your water changes. Nano or not I've seen happily thriving tanks full to the brim of coral.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all those nps, heavy skimming or water changes will be very necessary to keep things in check with all the feeding they will need.

With all those nps, heavy skimming or water changes will be very necessary to keep things in check with all the feeding they will need.

I've been considering a skimmer. Until I get one what percentage water change would you recommend? I typically change 2-2.5 gallons/week & it's a 14 gallon tank. Should I do larger or more frequent? I'd like to feed well, especially initially to make sure they are healthy and strong.

One of my new favorite shots from my tank. I love how even though they are tiny, they are outstandingly beautiful and interesting... both the blueberry gorgonian and sexy shrimp.

Still waiting for the red and yellow gorge to open fully and the sun and dendro haven't opened yet. Reviews said to give these a few days/up to a week. I'm doing the Tupperware with lots of food for the dendro and sun at least once a day till they open and eat, then I'll glue them in place.

And look where I found another baby rock nem after I was messing around in the tank and the zoas were closed up.

Personally, I like big tanks. I don't know but long term nano tank just way too much husbandry for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very nice. I love that blueberry gorgonian and that shrimp! I remember using selcon when I had a gorgonian and it seemed to have a really good feeding response to it.

Personally, I like big tanks. I don't know but long term nano tank just way too much husbandry for me.

I'd love a bigger tank and hope to be working towards that, just have to soften up the husband to approve that purchase and am scanning Craigslist weekly. Until then though I don't mind the work, with a small tank water changes are super fast so I could do 2-3 a week and not be too bothered if I had to do it. Testing is a bit of a pain but the pay off of is worth it to me if it helps the reef critters thrive. I'd love a 90-100 gallon someday and would still be very happy with a 40-60 if I found a great deal.

Very nice. I love that blueberry gorgonian and that shrimp! I remember using selcon when I had a gorgonian and it seemed to have a really good feeding response to it.

Thanks Paul, I'll look into that. I'm still trying to figure out the cleanest/most efficient way to feed them. I'm thinking cut the flow and turkey baster a slushy of plankton and finely chopped food over them when their polyps are fully open a few times a week and then maybe blow off rocks and change out filter floss later that same day to rid the tank of any excess and of course do a good water change weekly. I am loving their colors and hope to keep them happy while at the same time not skunking up my water, definitely a balancing act but one I'm up for trying.

How are the corals from reefs2go?

Have you tried LFS like Petco or petsmarts? sometime they got full tank with stand for 200 on a 60g or 400 on 90g. My local craiglist got overpriced tanks. On top of it, equipments that doesn't fit my liking.

How are the corals from reefs2go?

So far I'm happy, they came in yesterday afternoon. They are most of my recent pics. Blueberry gorgonian, orange whip and purple whip all opened completely within a few hours after acclimating and placement. Red and yellow gorgonians are still opening, a few polyps on each branch are open but not the whole thing yet. Those two are bigger than I thought they'd be and their colors are incredible, everything else was true to description/size and nothing was DOA. Still working on the sun and dendro to open but the flesh looks health. Added a green cabbage leather to the order and it looks good too. I was worried after hearing bad reviews but I've had a great experience with them for this order.

Have you tried LFS like Petco or petsmarts? sometime they got full tank with stand for 200 on a 60g or 400 on 90g. My local craiglist got overpriced tanks. On top of it, equipments that doesn't fit my liking.

I'll have to look, figured used would be cheaper but maybe not. Thanks for the tip!

I am gonna try reefs2go. Their shipping cost is higher then average online shops

I am gonna try reefs2go. Their shipping cost is higher then average online shops

Let me know what you you order and what you think. Most of mine have been good. My yellow gorgonian started opening almost immediately and completely opened the next night but since then hasn't been opening other than 1-2 polyps randomly. I'm trying to adjust flow and change positions for lighting, etc. Others seem to be doing well though.

Picked up my pair of neon gobies yesterday. Here's one hanging out.

The other one got startled and jumped into the hood with a loud thud. He spent the first hour or so hiding behind the mag float, since then he's been swimming around and hanging out with his mate. Any worries of long term damage from hitting the hood?

Picked up my pair of neon gobies yesterday. Here's one hanging out.

The other one got startled and jumped into the hood with a loud thud. He spent the first hour or so hiding behind the mag float, since then he's been swimming around and hanging out with his mate. Any worries of long term damage from hitting the hood?

Probably a headache! Cute little fish though. I'm sure it is possible that there could be an injury just as if we hit out head on something. I hope the little guy is ok. Maybe he has already learned his lesson on jumping, good thing you had a hood.

Back
Top Bottom