15 gallon nano- pics added 7/12!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got it up and running! As with my 2.5 pico, I will once again be keeping a photo journal of the progress. The tank is 15 gallons, 24"x12"- like a 20H, only shorter. The light is a Current USA Satellite 65W PC strip that I already had. I'm using a Jager 75W heater, and for circulation I have a Mini-Jet 606 and a Penguin 100 filter. I am not using media in the filter, but instead have filled the chamber with LR rubble. Just like last time, I already had my LR, so I just grabbed it out of my rock tub and stuck it in the tank.
Here's my first pic, taken about a month ago when I spray painted a background on the tank:
img_810558_0_76bdd7be5d815cf8f6d5c8d829f8de34.jpg

And here are the pics that I took tonight:
img_810558_1_ee85ab6aed1689517852b42887b9c28b.jpg

img_810558_2_969722c7488a7c20f07e47cecdde24af.jpg

Left side
img_810558_3_82b8cec27b7919fa6980e69231f9254a.jpg

Right side
img_810558_4_26108bbfd1bc02d26d63f2774eda43a8.jpg

I know that the BioWheel can cause problems with nitrates, so I'll remove it if necessary. I'm going to grab a raw shrimp tomorrow and let 'er rip.

What do you all think of the 'scape? 8)

Looks good so far. Can't wait for more progress pics! I do love the nano!

wow that looks amazing! Its hard to tell that is only 15galls!!!! I cant wait to see the finshed product. so what are the plans for it? (fish wise)

Wow, amazing! That first pic looks more like a 55 gallon instead of a 15 gallon. Awesome aquascaping, can't wait to see it when you start stocking it!

Thanks guys! :D My only concern is that the 'scape looks kinda "flat" to me right now, but on the other hand I wanted to leave enough space to put in corals that are attached to rocks. Lesson learned from the pico! :wink:

Blazey, I'm torn on the stock plan ATM. I can't decide whether I want a pair of ocellaris clowns and a royal gramma; or if I want just one o. clown, a royal gramma, and a neon goby. Suggestions are welcome.

I very much like idea of o. clown, a royal gramma, and a neon goby :D All interesting fish and will add a lot of color to what I'm sure will be a beautiful tank.

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of keeping a pair of clowns just to see their behavior.... but on the other hand my I know that I can't have more than 3 pretty small fish, so it is also cool to have 3 different species! Decisions, decisions.

Micah- I had the opportunity to see a neon goby for the first time in person this weekend, and I thought he was awesome! For whatever reason, the stores I frequent don't seem to get them, but maybe if I look around I can find one. After I saw that one in person, I was kind of leaning toward that stock plan. OT, but I just don't understand why people would continue to buy the blue streak cleaner wrasse when the neon goby is available in the hobby! :p

Blazey- I had considered a sixline wrasse before, but I don't know too much about them and was a bit concerned about aggression toward the gramma (which is def. a fish I want). Plus, being larger than the goby, I didn't know if it was a good idea in terms of bioload, and wasn't sure if a 2 foot tank would suffice. :?

Would a filamented/flasher wrasse work in place of the goby? I love those and I know that they stay small, but don't know that much about their activity level or whether they would be happy in a 2 foot tank. I'm still pretty up in the air about stocking, and I'll have a good while to decide, so keep those ideas coming! This will be my last tank, until I get enough money to buy a 75 or larger reef setup (IF that ever happens, lol). At that point I will have all the tanks I need. :wink:

Thanks for the wrasse info. I had a feeling someone might tell me that. Thanks for the link too, believe me I've checked it out a lot already!!! :lol:

Any thoughts on sixline wrasse aggression toward a royal gramma? If it's iffy I may just stick with the neon goby, seems like a safer bet.

severum mama said:
Thanks for the wrasse info. I had a feeling someone might tell me that. Thanks for the link too, believe me I've checked it out a lot already!!! :lol:

Any thoughts on sixline wrasse aggression toward a royal gramma? If it's iffy I may just stick with the neon goby, seems like a safer bet.
my six line is the most laid back and peacefull fish in the tank!!! six lines are kept in 10galls a lot, or so I see...

I know, I asked about the flasher wrasse separately because it is a fish that has always interested me.

The raw shrimp is in the tank. It's pretty gross just touching it, I can't imagine how nasty this will be when it actually starts to decompose. I stuck it in a knee high pantyhose and tied a knot in it for easy removal. :p

Wasn't my idea, someone else's on this forum. I won't take credit for that brilliance, lol.

Hey, I haven't updated since the shrimp went into the tank. It cycled, and I did a 70% water change after I pulled out what was left of the shrimp. :p

I added a royal gramma and a yellow polyp rock. So far things are going well! No pics yet, but I hope to take some later if the gramma feels like coming out for a pic. :D I think it was tecwzrd that advised me to wait a month in between each fish addition, so that is my plan. I'm in no hurry.

One question: how often can I add small corals? I don't want to add them too quickly. Thanks! :D

oh a royal gramma! You WILL love him, they are sooo much fun to watch and are often get the "oooooo's" and "ahhhhhh's" at my place! They have such funny personalities to (although I have to say I have yet to see a fish with more personality than my wrasse) but they are sooo much fun! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom