150 Watt Viper HQI for Biocube 14? Worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering getting a Biocube 14 but also came across just the stock tank (no hood) at nanotuners for less than $100.

Would getting that and a 150 watt Viper be worth it? The total cost would put it up there with buying a stock Biocube 14 with the hood but then eventually having to upgrade it to house the more light demanding stuff.

I am looking to keep just about anything I could possibly come across (clams, sps, lps, gps, nems, whatever you name)

Is 150 watts enough for a Biocube 14? I thought about the 70 watt as well, how about that?

ive seen these on biocube, though mounting it may be a problem because i heard the plastic brackets it comes with are weak, but the 150 is plenty to keep whatever you want in there, though id suggest looking at bulb colors because if you get a more white one you'll lose out on the nice blue hue you can get. but i'm pretty sure the price difference between the two isnt worth it to get the 70

EDIT: i mean the 150 but i just put "it" instead, fixed it

a 70 watter is not going to allow you to keep whatever you want.
btw, on a few sites i have noticed them selling for 99 bucks, and one said that item was discontinued. maybe it's not worth it. maybe a newer design is coming?

Would a 14k bulb give me enough of that blue hue? If you could post up links for the fixture that would be of great help. Foster and Smith is still up there at $217

well heres what it'll look like, not sure what K the bulb is, i think it might be 14K

YouTube - 14G Oceanic Biocube with JBJ K2 Viper

but yeah if you really want new and better lights look into LEDs like these

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip

you may have to do a bit of DIYing, but one power supply supports 6 strips and the electronics of it are caveman easy. be sure to get relfectors for each strip as well. i priced it out for 3 strips (2 white, 1 blue) which could support a lot, and it comes out to about the same as the viper, but without the energy costs and heat!

if you really wanted you could put them straight into the hood and keep the plastic splash guard, easy as LED DIY pie!

I didn't think they did, but I will take a closer look into them. Anyone used those leds before?

my LFS sells them and had the amount of lights i stated earlier, and had some small SPS frags and a few derasa clams, and they looked good. he has since added more for whatever reason though, i may be wrong, but still they will last forever, take up much MUCH less energy, and won't be blazing hot to touch

and BTW the F&S prices are the same as they probably are everywhere, its the same my LFS sells them for, but through F&S you have to pay shipping obviously

sorry to post so many times but if they don't you could use the panorama modules, twice the price but you would only need like 3, and they already have a splash guard too

Thats quite nice. I will ask my LFS about those lights and see if they can get a hold of some

How about the 3.6 upgrade kit from nanotuners.com? The one they have for the biocube 14 is also for the 8 and is stated that its equivalent to a 150 HQI in the 8. So would that be around a 100 HQI for the 14?

I think I will go with that kit after building up and maturing the tank so I would be able to go the sps and clams route for maximum color

yeah, its definitely a worthwhile purchase, sounds good and i'll be looking forward to you posting about it! but make sure you acclimate the tank to the new lights, X can tell you how he does it.

I forgot about reacclimating corals that are already in there. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom