16 gal sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anememonemone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so we got the 16 gallon sw tank together, put the ls in and 3 lbs of lace rock in the hob filter. 5 days later we put in the 15 lb chuck of cured lr and within 6 hours the tank was really really clear. 2 days later we put in one emerald crab, one hermit crab, and one sandsifting starfish. there is some brown stuff on the sand which my lfs told me was ditritis *sp and that more critters would be good at eating it. so we put in 5 snails, 2 more hermit crabs, one porcelain crab, and one blood red fire shrimp. they are doing a fine job cleanin stuff up and things are looking really good. then the one hermit crab looked like his claws fell off. and the next day the blood red fire shrimp's whole body fell off. they both seem to be doing ok, the shrimp is hiding alot but they are alive and walking around and stuff.

is this called molting? and either way, why did it happen only a day or two after being put in my tank? are they still healthy? is something wrong with the water? the salinity is good and its at exactly 80 degrees. i took the shrimps old shell out but the little claws kinda disappeared or went under the sand or something, the tank was first setup on xmas day is it safe to put a percula clown or a fire goby in there yet, or should i wait a little longer? i really have no ammonia source in there cuz theres minimal waste and no feeding. how long is it ok for the critters to live in there with no real feeding?

You loaded that tank up extremely fast, best to wait at this point and NOT put in any fish for at least another couple of weeks to make sure it is stable. Small tanks like a 16g are very touchy and you really added livestock to that tank too fast to keep an eye on things and make sure everything is behaving appropriately. There is enough life on the rock and waste to keep the tank cycled. Remember the brown stuff on the sand? That stuff is gonna keep the tank going. If you want to feed the critters, drop in food once per week, however they should be able to find food on the LR and in the substrate for a while.

Back
Top Bottom