17G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyenma

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi i had a biocube for a while and new my gf got me a 17G tank. but its just a regular tank with nothing in it. i was wondering what i need it in to start a new tank. i have a power head, new lighting and thats it. do i need a filter system or anything else??

No filter needed, assuming that this will be a reef, so live rock will be your filtration. Sand, refractometer, thermometer, live rock, heater, salt, liquid test kit, extra powerhead and heater for mixing new water, buckets for water changes, and most importantly, you.

I was gonna do a nano reef, but any way I had made this list. It mite help with the general basic stuff.
I kind of made a list of the general stuff I would need.

Tank- 20 gallon Long
Filtration ~25-30lbs of live rock (15 base, 10-15 lr)
Maybe a Walmart filter for extra movement and a place to put the shrimp while cycling
Heater- 100w (Stealth or Ebo Jager maybe)
Lighting- 2x65w 30” Current USA Satellite PC
PH- Koraila 1 (+ plus filter circulation)
Substrate- 20lbs of Aragonite
Salt- Oceanic
Refractometer
Egg Crate
Fish Food
Fish
Corals
Floating/Suction cup thermometer
Clean Up Crew
Gravel vac
Airline tubing (for acclimating)
For Salt mixing:
5g Buckets
Powerhead
25w Heater
Dechlorinator
Floating/Suction cup thermometer

Just so you know, all this stuff is for a 20g long so things will be a little different for yours, but its just a general list.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

14 1/2" isn't that tall IMO, you should be able to get away with PC and keep almost anything, but that's just my thinking/reasoning. The nova extreme fixture posted above would give you plenty of light to the point where you can keep anything including nems (I don't recommend nems in tanks under 40g).

what about the first lighting and i have nems and other coral in my 14g biocube

The first fixture would be fine, I just don't recommend that you stick nems under PC as it doesn't have the intensity and PAR that nems need. Especially in a tank that small, the nem will move around the tank constantly looking for light and will sting your coral on the way. Just heading down the road to disaster IMO.

My lights aren't PCs though so my nem stays in one spot and has for the last 4 months. Great spot actually. Gets all the food he needs so I never have to feed him.

thanks!! i think ill go with the first lighten as for rocks and other stuff im moving my 14g into my 17g jsut for a little more space so that my clowns and my other fish can swim around a bit more!!

hey so i set up my tank. now i let it cycle for a bit now and i added rock. i was wondering how would i transfer my live stock from my biocube to the new tank without harming anything??

nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ammonia 0
ph 8
calcium about 400

the tank has been cycling for 2weeks no spike yet.

sand rock and about 5 to 6 pounds of rock. this is about a 16 to 17g tank. reason for cycling with only that much rock because i have about 14 pounds of rock in my other tank with live coral and such on it and not sure if i should put them in the new tank right away

Back
Top Bottom