1st rbta died :((((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltghost2k25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I purchased this rbta from this guy who was 26 miles from my house. He had 3 tanks 1 anemone tank with 9 rbta and 1 tank hes cleaned out with 2 tangs, and I reef tank. I choose the anemone I wanted and he like pulled or twisted the anemone of the rock. He put it in a big ziplock bag and I drove back home..I accumulated it for 2 hours using drip method and placed it in the tank. It wouldn't attach to anything and it would just swim around in the current. I called the guy and he told he it was fine swimming in the current not attaching to anything. I left the anemone for 4 hours to go swimming and came back home to see it stuck on my marineland hob filter died. I checked my rio powerhead and my aquac nano remore skimmer to find nothing in there..what went wrong???please help
1.could it have been how the guy twisted or pulled the anemone of it's rock that is why it didn't attach
2.could it have been my filters fault
Help..

Anemones and intakes (power heads and HOB Filters) don't mix well. IMHO I think that the filter intake lead to its demise, more so than other causes.

What helps, is sliding a sponge over any intakes in the tank--that will prevent this from happening again. Sorry, that sucks.

What can an individual do to assure a secure anemone tank..when the have good paremeters

IMO: that anemone was doom from when the seller forcefully removed it from a rock :-/
It not attaching it self in your tank was another indicator that something was wrong.....he could of had 100 anemone don't making a expert at anemone....

If you don't see pieces of the anemone in your tank you should be good,
If it didn't tear it's base/foot if that broke you might want to do a 50% water change.

How big is your tank? How long has it been up and running? And finally, what are the lights like?

+1 for pulling on the foot. Often if the foot gets damaged (forcibly) the anemone won't make it.

Here are some signs to look for in purchasing an anemone. If these symptoms are shown, don't buy it.
1) Is the mouth open?
2) Is the anemone bleached and white looking (unless your buying a condy)?
3) Is the foot damaged?
4) Will the seller feed the anemone so you can see it eat? Just checking to see whether the tentacles are sticky or not. If the anemone won't eat, don't buy it.
5) Will they sell you the anemone on the rock that they are currently attached to? If they pull them off as what happened to you, don't buy it.

Anemones can be tricky but as others are also saying it sounds like in this situation it was doomed from being ripped off the rock at the store. I would do a large water change anyway just to be safe. Cheers and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom