2.5 gallon nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been toying with the idea of starting a 2.5 gallon nano marine tank. What light source would one use?

I'm going to move this to the nano section. I think you will get better advice there.

I've seen the Aqualight mini that I think will work. It's 9 watts full spec, and 9 watts actinic. Only issue is that I'm not sure if it will get too hot sitting on top of a 2.5 gallon tank. It would be nice if there was a bendable arm like the one melosu suggested. Has anyone had any issues with this fixture getting hot?

Actually getting a bit sad. Need to break down my 40 gallon tank for my move 2 months from now, but I don't wanna give up keeping my fish! :(

catalina aquariums sells a 2x13W 12" PC fixture, that I run on a 2.5g FW nano with no real heating issues. might be worth looking into.

I wish I could, but will have to move again in 1 year. By the time I cycle a 40 gallon, I will have 6 months to enjoy, and then break it down again! I figured this was the best time to downsize and experiment with a small system that's easy to relocate.

I'll check out the Catalina fixture. Thanks.

neilanh, does the catalina fixture come with an acrylic/glass cover? I think I may pick up the 8" nano 2x13 watt fixture and a set of legs. I think it should fit snug over the 2.5 gallon AGA.

No, no cover unforunately. Here's what that fixture looks like over a standard 2.5g tank. Don't mind the ugly water, aquasoil will do that upon initial fill.

DSC03368.JPG

Are you sure that's the 12 inch hood? Maybe it's the 10? I measured out the 2.5 AGA, and it's exactly 12 inches across. Looks like about an inch on either side of the hood to the edge. Hrm... Either way, looks nice. I'll just have to keep the glass cover on the tank I guess. Any advice on where to find a small adjustable heater? I'm hoping to find one small enough to place in my Aquaclear 50 (which will end up being a make-shift sump!).

Mine's the 10". I mentioned 12" as I thought that might give more even coverage for a SW tank, but I dunno.

Can't help you with the heater, sorry, but an AC50 I hope you're able to turn the flow down on for a 2.5g tank!

I actually like that there's more flow. The live rock will break it up a bit to make it a little more chaotic, and less like being hit by a waterfall. If I start seeing the critters being blown around in a twister, I'll turn it down. :)

I'm still researching lights, and found this on Big Al's. Coralife Aqualight-Double Linear Strip Power Compact-12". It puts out 36 watts! It has an acrylic cover, which, for me is a concern as I'm afraid of salt depot building up along the reflector and wiring. I wonder if the mountable legs can be used with it? If it can, I think I'll pick this one up.

Hey all. Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I ended up picking up a nice little heater which fits snuggly into the AC50. Also, light fixture arrived. Very nice. I've some pictures in the "ALBUM" section if ya'll wanna check them out.

Thanks again. Now I just have to keep up with the top off!

Back
Top Bottom