2.5 gallon questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I have decided to start out small with a 2.5 gallon nano reef. I have a 55 gallon with African cichlids, but I wanted to see how a marine setup would be. I purchased 5 lbs of Carib sea, a 10 gallon filter (HOB), and some sea salt. I also have some test strips. As for lighting, I ordered the coralife 11" dual fixture which has a 10,000k daylight and an actinic light as well for coral. Together they amount to 12 watts. So here are the questions...
-What kind of corals are cheap, hardy, low on aggression, and easy to grow, as well as look cool?
-This is probably stupid, but after the tank is established and I need to add water due to evaporation, do I just add freshwater since the salt doesn't leave the tank?
-What kind of fish could I get? Would a Goby work, or more preferable, a clown fish?
-Finally, how much harder is it going to be than freshwater? What are the big things to look out for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

liljosh609 said:
Ok, so I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I have decided to start out small with a 2.5 gallon nano reef. I have a 55 gallon with African cichlids, but I wanted to see how a marine setup would be. I purchased 5 lbs of Carib sea, a 10 gallon filter (HOB), and some sea salt. I also have some test strips. As for lighting, I ordered the coralife 11" dual fixture which has a 10,000k daylight and an actinic light as well for coral. Together they amount to 12 watts. So here are the questions...
-What kind of corals are cheap, hardy, low on aggression, and easy to grow, as well as look cool?
-This is probably stupid, but after the tank is established and I need to add water due to evaporation, do I just add freshwater since the salt doesn't leave the tank?
-What kind of fish could I get? Would a Goby work, or more preferable, a clown fish?
-Finally, how much harder is it going to be than freshwater? What are the big things to look out for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

You could get a few zoas, and most lps corals are easy to keep like torches, hammers, etc.

Just add pure RODI water, good question

The only fish i think you could get is a clown GOBY, not a clown fish. Clown fish need much bigger tanks... And i honestly wouldnt put any fish in such a small tank, just inverts.

Its alot harder then freshwater. Small changes in the water will kill everything, so test your water all the time and make sure the temperature and salinity are consistant

Oh so when topping of water I don't put more salt in. How often should I water change? Also, how much? Would you siphon the sand, or just take it from the top? How about shrimp? What's a good way to keep nitrates and nitrites and ammonia down?

liljosh609 said:
Oh so when topping of water I don't put more salt in. How often should I water change? Also, how much? Would you siphon the sand, or just take it from the top? How about shrimp? What's a good way to keep nitrates and nitrites and ammonia down?

Water change once a week. If i were you i would do a half gallon-1 gallon water change a week. Dont siphon the sand, take it from the water line. Your perameters will stay in check if you do water changes, its a big deal. And shrimp are cool. If i were you i would get 1 yellow clown goby and 5 sexy shrimp

Ok, thanks for all of the help. Im excited to set this up. I just read up on water parameters and I feel better prepared now.

Back
Top Bottom