2 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an empty 2 gallon lying around which is annoying me - is there any chance i could turn it into a small saltwater tank, i'm thinking a cleaner shrimp and a couple of snails. i could use (2x) 12" flourescent tubes on it giving about 8 watts per gallon, would this need any other means of filteration if I used about 4-5 lbs live rock, with a small powerhead for movement, i was also hoping to put some soft coral in it, perhaps some 'shrooms/zoos, would this be possible in a tank of this size!?

yes but difficult. I wouldn't recomend it to a beginner. Things can go bad fast in such a small tank but if you are determined enough to do it then do it.

I wouldn't recomend it to a beginner

I kept a Saltwater tank before, although it wasn't very successful, however I think that was down to the cost of everything - ... this tank would barely cost anything because of the size & I have most of the required equipment from the previous tank,

I need a couple of Q's answered

1) would this 2 gallon tank need any other filter if I used 4-5 pounds live rock?

2) would the lights i mentioned be good enough to keep the corals?

3) what other livestock options are there apart from shrimp/snails, any small fish?

TIA!

I say go for it! I have had a two 10's up in the past with nothing but LR and HOB and 1 PH each, not planned... but as temp holding while we moved and encountered problems with our main tank... I had a lot of fish in those tanks for a long time and it was crazy....it taught me A LOT about SW and and I learned things I could have never learned from the big main tank... in the long run it made me a better tank keeper, if you already have had SW tanks then I bet you will be fine, or learn fast of mistakes and get it right. :) Experience is the best teacher, albeit a hard one ;) Of course, if you were killing fish to learn I would feel a little different, like say, cramming a hippo tang in there. I say set it up and wait to add your shrimp until you got it down pat an the tank is aged a little... think of all the cool shrooms and stuff... I'm setting a 5 up at my computer table... same plans... LR, shrooms, crabs, snails, a sexy shrimp. :)

Also, I bet a nice size HOB the back will provide you with ample water flow, with out adding the PH and plus give you a mini fuge :)

Keep us posted on what you decide :)

Okay, Instead of using 2x flourescent tubes, i'm going to use a 24 watt 12" compact flourescent (blue/white), giving about 12 watts per gallon would this be okay to keep soft coral?,

the tank by the way is only 7.5 inches deep

Okay, I've gone with an 18 watt compact flourecscent (blue/white) which looks really nice - I've also added 1 or 2 pounds of live rock, the tank is currently cycling, I tested for ammonia and the test water went clear so there's no ammonia, the nitrite went med. orange and the nitrate went red - any ideas how long it will take now?

also, the tank is really cloudy and I cant see to the back even though it is only 8 inches wide! - it has been like this for days -- will it ever clear up by itself!?

Back
Top Bottom