20 gal reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I'm just starting this and hoping that anyone reading can give me some information, anything helps! I've been a cichlid and planted tank guy for years until now I decided to do a nano reef. As of right now I have about 3 lbs of live rock, and about 20 dry that is in the tank. I have the marineland Led reef fixture and bought 20 lbs of live sand. My only inhabitants are two false percula clowns for cycling. I plan on adding hermits and others in a few weeks. As far as other hardware, I have a 160 gph power head and a simple HOB filter with minimal padding. I plan on doing soft corals and feathers, and hopefully an anemone but I know that's a long shot. I can post pictures later, but anyone have an opinion on this? Anything is appreciated ?

I straight dosed the bio spira and then added the clowns to start the cycle, that's all I've did so far. I was originally going to use green chromis' but figured the clowns would look nicer

You'll want more flow, around 30x tank volume per hour. I highly doubt that light would support a nem, but they shouldn't be added to a tank for about a year any way. And most importantly there is no reason to cycle with fish, it's much easier to do it fish less and much less cruel.

I agree with bigred. More flow the better. You will definitely need at least one much stronger powerhead

If your are going to do fish-in like this, go look at the article "Fish In Cycling - Step over do the dark side" or something like that. It's on here, it explains the old concept of soft cycling. However it does require a lot of work to not harm the fish.

Alright another update, my ammonia is almost 0, nitrites spiked and are now falling, around 2 ppm and nitrates are slowly rising!

Back
Top Bottom