20 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How the heck do you get rid of diatoms? My tank has been running for three months and it's still all over my glass.

I was under the impression they were just a part of cycling. I think if you still have them it maybe excessive nutrients in your tank.

I don't know honestly. I bought my setup used. It's not super fine sand. If it's crushed coral then it's super fine crushed coral. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396391541.375978.jpg

I don't see any diatoms there, that's just what a sand bed looks like after a while. Take a picture of what you mean, and some people will look at it and throw out some ideas for you.

I don't see any diatoms there, that's just what a sand bed looks like after a while. Take a picture of what you mean, and some people will look at it and throw out some ideas for you.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396397268.843101.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396397288.539061.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396397311.741013.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396397333.115416.jpg

It's heavy on the back glass, where the sand meets the glass in front, and it's yellow/browning my rock.

Yea I'm no saltwater expert but in the freshwater world it's Cyanobacteria caused by low water circulation/low oxygen levels.

Odd. It gets decent flow there. But it's odd that it's way below the sand. Any idea what the brown stuff is?

No clue man I'm sure someone else will reply. Like I said I'm new to saltwater.

That's all pretty normal algae, not sure on the name but I call it film algae. I scrape it off the glass every couple days. My guess for the green stuff in the sand would be caused by the former owner heavily feeding, I would just siphon it out during your next wc. Your po4 and nitrate levels may be a little high as well. For the algae on the rocks maybe try a couple extra snails or increase the flow or point a ph directly at the rock work

It all just showed up. I had the same thought as you...point the power head at the rock. I did that a week ago and has not helped. Grrrrrr

Have you tested po4 and nitrate? Are you using t5 lighting? And your using ro right?

Po4? Nitrates are 10ppm. Yes I use ro/di. My BRS 75gpd ro/di system was the best investment I've made. I was buying 30 gallons a week of distilled water before I got it. That was getting old real fast. I change out 15 gallons a week out of about 95 gallons of actual water volume.

Po4? Nitrates are 10ppm. Yes I use ro/di. My BRS 75gpd ro/di system was the best investment I've made. I was buying 30 gallons a week of distilled water before I got it. That was getting old real fast. I change out 15 gallons a week out of about 95 gallons of actual water volume.

Po4= phosphate sorry, and I was pretty sure you were using ro. Was that a no on the t5s?

Back
Top Bottom