20 Gallon Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I have been putting of getting good lighting to support a reef for too long. I need lights that can support any coral in my 20g Tank. It just finished cycling and I want to make a reef. I like the idea of having LEDS but they are extremely expensive. Then again they do save money in the long run compared to T5s.

Does anybody know of good cheap LEDS? Some people say that the TaoTronics LEDS are cheap and good but I don't think so. Does anyone have experience with the Fluval Sea LED?

So again are there any good and cheap LEDS? I can get for a reef?

Yes. I'm using an 8 lamp fixture right now as a matter of fact. They are very good, with the right fixture and the right lamps in it. You'll have to buy lamps every 9 months to a year and the power consumption is a bit more than the LED unit, but I have had good luck with them as well.

You will need a fixture that has individual reflectors for each lamp, and high end hi PAR lamps are Giesemann, and ATI.
I prefer ATI.
My favorites are Blue Plus, and Aquablue Special.
is this a 20 high or a 20 long you are trying to light? 24" or 30"?

The price is 70 bucks. You will need to get creative. You can use a pair of plant hangars and attach them to the wall behind.

What if I attached hooks to the ceiling and used some kind of wire?

What's a good combination of ATI bulbs?

I'm also having a hard time deciding if I want to go with the t5s or LEDS.

Well, if you go with a 4 lamp, 2 ATI Blue Plus, and 2 ATI Aquablue Special. If you are going with a 6 lamp fixture which is what Zi would recommend (especially if you want sps) then I would incorporate a ATI Purple Plus, or a Korallen Zucht (KZ) Fiji Purple, and maybe another Blue Plus.

Sure. Hang it from the ceiling if you like.

The 6-Bulb fixture comes with bulbs I think. I'm not sure if they are any good though? Do you think i would have to change them?

The 4-bulb fixture doesn't come with bulbs, but by the time I get them it would cost more then the 6-Bulb fixture.

I think I'll go with the 6-Bulb.

Back
Top Bottom