20g w/ sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you guys. I'm not disregarding the information. This will be helpful with my future of this tank :)

I'm either going to re-home the Nem next week or get better lighting BTW. Just to let you all know :). I definitely plan on keeping the rest of the soft corals either way.

If the lighting isn't sufficient, what signs will I see from the Nem that it is getting hurt? It's a bubbletip nem. Will it turn darker and become more limp and skinny? He looked like that when he was moved due to stress, but he's brilliant brown and he moves every night so far. He seems healthy to me.

Late this week I'll probably add my second fish, Pygmy Angel. As long as my water quality stays the way it is. I fed both nights so far, just to see if I had any toxin spikes and all my readings are still 0,0, <20. (I test morning/night. Temp only fluctuates between 78 in the morning when I first turn the light on, to 79 at night). I also get free pre-mixed water for PWC's every week and I use RO/DI water for topoffs daily.

I'd like to hear some suggestions for gobys to add! (Few weeks after my angel)

Edit: One more thing.. How will my clown react if I re-home the Nem? Will it upset him not having anywhere to hide? Is there any other soft coral he will make home? He already loves it.. I was out there tonight looking and he's just totally calm laying in the nem when the lights are out. It's so amazing to see haha.

I had my four clowns hosting a coral and when I removed it they didn't seem to mind one bit. :)

Nems will move around alot if they are searching for something, be it light, food or flow. Mine stayed in the exact same place as when he first went in the tank until I took him out 2 months later.

I think you're doing the right thing in returning him or upping the lighting. Gotta watch out for our aquatic friends. lol

Gotta watch out for our aquatic friends. lol

Definitely agree. :)

I've had to re-home so many fish since I started this hobby :p. My most recent was my Oscar. I didn't have resources/space to upgrade to 75G and he was in a 55G, so I got him a new home to a man with a 175.

Yep, gotta do what you have to do. I either had to rehome my cichlids or go bigger, so I got a 125g for them. And now it seems they need even bigger. LOL It;s always something I tell ya

Here's some better pictures of the new softies. They were closed up in the earlier ones. Open and happy in these!

Attachments

• 2011-11-21 12.24.46.jpg
    2011-11-21 12.24.46.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 2011-11-21 12.24.32.jpg
    2011-11-21 12.24.32.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 70
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Anyway, another update..

I got my baby Pygmy Angel yesterday. I have two concerns with him as he grows, nipping at my corals and swimming space. If he seems crammed when he becomes full grown, I will re-home. Tank volume should be ok... 26G. My third fish I will add will be a nano blenny/goby, not sure yet exactly. Nothing big though, and I'll wait another week or two before adding.

Tested water today... still great. 0 am / 0 nitrite / 10 nitrate. (Daily testings of water) I've been feeding 1mm NLS food to them, every other day. I know the WORST thing I can do in such a small tank is overfeed, what are your opinions on exact amounts of food I should be adding? I know this question is always brought up and there are many ideas and opinions. What I do is get my finger wet, then put it in the food and just get a finger tip worth of pellets. I then put my finger down towards the Nem and the pellets spread out a bit. Nem gets some and the clown gets some, then the Skunk shrimp runs out and grabs a couple. They really don't need more than a few pellets every other day do they? I will be feeding frozen brine shrimp once a week as well. (Pygmy is new and hasn't eaten because I haven't fed since I got him, he can fast for a couple days to get used to the tank!)

I swear my softies grow bigger daily! The green and red mushrooms have really spread open over the last week, they are beautiful. I'm not adding anymore softies or inverts, I'll let these grow and then sell back to my LFS as they get too big. Then start again with small ones :)

IF you've been following... I'll be talking to the LFS owner next week and either re-home the Nem or be getting a new fixture for increased lighting.

Hope you are all having a good turkey day!

Back
Top Bottom