20H or 20L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thinking of starting a FOWLR tank soonish. I'd like to do a 20 but am wondering if you all think a 20L is okay? Unless I can get one of the Tetra kits for a 20H but it comes with LED lights which would be good to have if I eventually want to do a few soft corals right??
I would replace the Tetra filter with an AC 50 probably and get a powerhead too.
Just starting to really consider this as a possibility so the first thing I need to do is decide what tank I want. Help?
Thanks folks :)

40 gallon breeder had a awesome footprint. Thats the one to go with if you can get on one of their dollar per gallon sales.

To answer your question, I'd go with a 20L.

I have a 20 long and I like it a lot. A few things to consider:

How do you want your rock set up? Stacking you might prefer using the high, wider structures the long will be better. Here is mine, I like the look of arches so this is what I did :

image-4033681912.jpg

Also What kind of lighting are you going to use? I use a 24" light on a 30" (20 long) tank, and it works fine for my reef. No real dark spots, but it some cases you may end up a little dark unless you can find a 30 inch light fixture.

Fish will appreciate the extra length too of course

One more thing, stock LED lights aren't usually powerful. But if you are only gonna try mushroom or zoanthids then it may work

Back
Top Bottom