20L frankenstein build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratrob57

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was gifted a brand new 20L and stand. I don't have lots of money now so I will be putting this together out of stuff I have left over from years in the hobby. I do have a brand new AC70 that I modded into a fuge yesterday and an old AC50 also modded into fuge. I am planning on buying 20-30lbs of livesand but that is all I want to buy. I have a 40 and a biocube14 that I will be plucking some LR out of and I will be taking about 15 gallons of tank water out of my existing tanks to start this tank. I think I will also take the HOB filter off the forty and put it on the 20. I also have a magnum canister filter and a CPR bakpak skimmer as well as a 48" quad 55wor65w? Don't remember PC light hood which I plan on gutting and building into a DIY canopy I will be building.

Any suggestions on what I should do or shouldn't do? Which pieces to use and which to not use also the stand is one of those laminate oak stands what type of paint would stick to it well so I can paint it black. I also have a cheap led light off a whisper Berta tank that I will use for the fuge.

Thanks so much

Looks like you have a plan. :-D

The onlything thats probably un necessary is using the old water, it wont really contain that much beneficial bacteria for you cycle, but by all means the live rock should have enough on it so you should be good to go.

I recently painted a stand using black latex and it seems to be ok for now. I used a semi gloss and it has a nice sheen to it.

carey said:
Looks like you have a plan. :-D

The onlything thats probably un necessary is using the old water, it wont really contain that much beneficial bacteria for you cycle, but by all means the live rock should have enough on it so you should be good to go.

I recently painted a stand using black latex and it seems to be ok for now. I used a semi gloss and it has a nice sheen to it.

Was the stand you painted laminate or real wood? If lam did you have to use a primer or scuff it up much? You said layer I
Assuming interior roll on. Or was it a spray?

The old water is just so that I know it's proper salinity and temp and i don't have to buy waterchange water for my other tanks and new water I don't have an ro/di would love a cheap one but haven't found one yet

Mjpendrey said:
+1 LOL that's the one recommended hehe

Yes it is. im got mine comeing in the mail next tus. Mjpendery thanks for the link this will make my job easyer and cheaper lol

I am hoping to get some help picking which parts to build frankenstein. I am set on only the lights and LR but which filters should I use or not used for this tank?

With filters it comes down to stock. If your wanting to have coral then imo a sump/refugeum is best. Ther is a bunch of diy that you could use. For fish only you could use a canister or hang on the back just remember that a good turn over rater is 10x the tank. But all in all a sump would be your best beat as you can do both coral and fish. I have a diy sump witch works so much beter then my old canister filter I used to use

scubasteve03 said:
With filters it comes down to stock. If your wanting to have coral then imo a sump/refugeum is best. Ther is a bunch of diy that you could use. For fish only you could use a canister or hang on the back just remember that a good turn over rater is 10x the tank. But all in all a sump would be your best beat as you can do both coral and fish. I have a diy sump witch works so much beter then my old canister filter I used to use

I would love to run a sump/fuge but this build I can only use the parts I listed as funds are tight right now. That's why it's drake storm just leftover parts I do have a del Rey 125 sump but no hoses or return pump and overflow just sump:(

Completly understand. What I think is you should take the largest filter you have and use that on it. You want to get a good turn over rate in the tank. Witch is how many times your complet water volume filters completly. I would say about 10x should be good. Also I see that you have a hob that you converted to a fuge. Use that to, it will help. With that I think you could have a very sucssesful tank

So I think I'll take the penguin off the 40g(200gph) and I'll put the CPR on the 40, then I'll also run the magnum canister just till I get a powerhead or two USO g it for flow more than filtration. I will also have the AC70fuge on there would rather the ac70 go on the 40 but it's a plexiglas with a cut out only for one HOB

scubasteve03 said:
Im Following you. With that you should have plenty of flow and filtration. Lol its almost like a puzzle

Yup move this here to have that there and the other thing on the other one.....lol :)

I have a koralia that I just remembered about it needs a new attachment cup so I gotta contact company but if I cam get that I will not need the magnum

Ratrob57 said:
Yup move this here to have that there and the other thing on the other one.....lol :)

I have a koralia that I just remembered about it needs a new attachment cup so I gotta contact company but if I cam get that I will not need the magnum

Thats cool I got one thay works awsome. Ya if you cant get one it should be cool I think it has a sucktion cup on it

Well just talked with the realtor and we will be selling our house soon so I don't get to build the tank for atleast a few months but good news is when I do get to build it I will not be having to move it Right away.

Back
Top Bottom