20Long reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masoniac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Back again after some personal issues and having to take down all my tanks. I will be working my way back up to my 55 gallon. I have a 20 Long with a simple set up. Hob filter rated for 60 gallons, a little power head that had came out of a desk water fountain, and a heater. I'm going with a crushed coral bottom, never used the stuff so I will be testing it to see how I like it. Gonna be using a 96 watt t5ho lighting should be plenty if not more than I need. Not sure how many pounds of rock I currently have in the tank I just used some dried out rock I still had. Tank has been cycling for 3 days now. My stocking list is going to be 2 clowns not sure what kind, and a six line wrasse. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to comment. I'm really just making the thread to document my progress and to get help if I need it.

Welcome back! Id watch the crushed coral substrate as it will hold a lot of detrious and could cause nitrate issues. I used cc and sand mixed in my 75 and i had to siphone it all out and replace it with just sand. My trates were through the roof and now with just sand they are 0. Good luck with your build!

Thanks for the heads up. If I bulk up my cuc would that keep it lower you think?

I dont think it would hurt to bulk up the cuc. Im not sure if it will help but worth a try.

I guess I'll see what I can do with it and if it becomes a problem I'll remove it and replace it with sand.

Update went ahead and removed the CC I'd rather avoid a headache, so I'll be replacing it with sand when I get to the LFS. I've also thought about it and I hope it works I'm going to shoot for a 10 gallon sump, that's all I can fit inside the stand. Looking to go with a refug in it to.

Built my sump/refugium this week. I still need to get an overflow and a return pump. Anyone know of a good return? I know I will lose some head pressure so I am not sure what brand to get any advice would be great.

I currently have a coralife 65g skimmer last time I had it hooked up it sucked, there was always microbubbles from it. I'm going to try it again hanging it off the back of the sump/refugium in the first chamber because thats the tallest chamber. I'll play around with it and if I don't like it UPGRADE!!

I use mag drives for my return pumps. :) I also use them for my water change pump and on my reactors. I have great luck with them being quiet and issue free. Havent had a pump failure with any of them over the last few years.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Carey I'll look into them. Now should I plumb my sump/refugium with PVC or flexible tubing?

Both ways have their pluses. The flexible tubing is easy and simple to run. The pvc is nice cause its solid and sturdy, but if you need to take it apart for any reason it can be a pain. If you go with PVC make sure you have union fittings so you can disassemble if needed.

I currently have flex tubing in all my tanks but I am thinking of going PVC for my upcoming large tank build. Also, PVC cannot be moved around since its solid so if something isnt just right you have to cut and adjust. I;ve heard it can be loud as well. My favorite LFS told me to stick with the tubing. lol

I'm looking at reefs 2 go for macro algae and I'm unsure what macroalgaes to go with. Please help!

Back
Top Bottom