24 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am moving my thread here as I kinda named the thread very shocking lol!

Hi guys well I'm a noob to saltwater fish and decided best way to start is by going small, although parameters need checking more often ect the cost is low if I don't get it right.

Here is a list of things I have/on its way

A Kent nano bioreef 94l tank including power head, 200w heater, protein skimmer and 3 stage filter.
A hydor koralia 900 as an additional power head.
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Api Saltwater master test kit

Things I still need to get are live rock, live sand/coral and fish.

Going to take this project nice and slow being a noob and wanted some advice.

1. Is the list I got any good?

2. How much live rock will be needed for this size tank if live sand is used?

There is no reason to have a uv sterilizer on your tank. Figure about 1 to 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. MMMM so about 12 to 15kg?? I am not to good with conversions. What kind of light does your tank come with most cubes in USA comes with compact fluorescent if so the corals would be very limited. The vortech is a very nice power head.

joy13 said:
There is no reason to have a uv sterilizer on your tank. Figure about 1 to 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. MMMM so about 12 to 15kg?? I am not to good with conversions. What kind of light does your tank come with most cubes in USA comes with compact fluorescent if so the corals would be very limited. The vortech is a very nice power head.

The lighting is designed for reef as they are twin t5 high output with 6x1watt marine white LEDs and 4x0.5wall marine blue LEDs as extra. Would this lighting be ok for most corals? The tank is actually a reef nano do I'm guessing it would be ok otherwise they couldn't sell it under that name.

Ps just impulse bought the power head, I'll use my stock one for mixing my saltwater for water changes

I don't know much about LEDs at all I am learning slowly. That is a nice power head.

My first proper book arrived today so got a gd read tonight! Book is a bit one sided I noticed and more on the authors advice rather than a medium between the hobby.

Good job i got another on its way.

Plus point is my deltech power head arrives tomorrow wahoo!!!

image-262722433.jpg

You are in the right place for good advice here. Everyone here is very helpful and will likely give more information than you know what do with! Great start on a tank, I think the "cubes" are great for beginners.

Is the cabinet the tank sitting on the stand for the finished tank?

Starchar said:
You are in the right place for good advice here. Everyone here is very helpful and will likely give more information than you know what do with! Great start on a tank, I think the "cubes" are great for beginners

Is the cabinet the tank sitting on the stand for the finished tank?

Yes the tank stand is finished, it's actually the matching tank stand for it, it's perfect for holding all my wiring in and got room for external filters I I ever want one. I am defiantly taking the project slow as I want to learn as much as I can before starting cycling.... The mrs don't seem to think this way though se thinks you can put tap water in and add fish! Safe to say she won't be going near the tank haha.

image-1534968397.jpg

Yay excited now got my vortech mp10 today can't wait to start setting up but unfortunately the live sand is delayed till tomorrow :( got another new nano book (hoping this one is more informative), my extension lead with power surge that I'm hoping I can keep away from water, another thermometer for water change bucket and some grey aquascape epoxy putty. Not long now :)

I would invest in a refractometer instead of hydrometer. They are more accurate and a small expense in the whole scheme of things.

spoonman said:
I would invest in a refractometer instead of hydrometer. They are more accurate and a small expense in the whole scheme of things.

That's on my list of things still to get! The hydrometer come with my tank and was going to start using that till I done some studying and found that just a tiny bubble on the needle came be catastrophic so definitely getting a refractometer.

Sounds sad but I'm currently watching a few nature blu rays I had again just to get some reference like the deep blue, the blue planet and planet earth! Forgot how informative these actually are! Think I'm revising more for keeping this tank than I ever did at school haha

Had my Arag-Alive special Grade Reef Sand arrive today along with my reef master test kit too. All that's left now is to get my rock! Time to pull some overtime to pay for it haha

Just been to my local fish shop and they recommended to do away with the bio balls, foam, ceramic rings and carbon and place as much live rock in as poss. Would this be better?

image-3483621624.jpg

image-4128336678.jpg

image-774707133.jpg

image-2632571828.jpg

image-1332775794.jpg

image-3934676252.jpg

Well I'm setup ready to add water tomorrow! Finally! Next week I'll be getting live rock. Instead of using the carbon, bio balls and foam that come with the setup im gonna put live rock in the second chamber from the left in first 2 pics.

Anyone advise against that or add to that?

Attachments

• image-2507422334.jpg
    image-2507422334.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 70
image-3369706738.jpg

image-1933501702.jpg

image-2393099224.jpg

Well I finally got my live rock in. Got about 10kg in the front and put 2 kg in one one the chambers. I noticed some soft cream coloured tentacles coming from the red rock on picture 3, does anyone know what this is?

I will do once my tank water clears, added my sand now and I got the milky white water so can't see it at the moment, I'll try zooming the pic see if I can screen capture it bigger

Back
Top Bottom