28g nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deejay62

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this tank for 2 yrs now, we recently got a 90g tank and decided to break down the 28g nano. We put our best corals in the 90 gallon and they are doing great. I got rid of my sand in the nano, due to gunk from lack of more circulation. I want to know if this is a diatom bloom or not. Can someone please help?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402530301.535933.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402530346.478966.jpg
My parameters are:
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Salinity 1.025
Stock
1 percula clown
1pygmy angel
1 emerald green crab
5 blue leg hermit
4 Astraea snails

Looks to be a mix of diatoms and some Green Cyano forming.

Isn't cyano bacteria like little bubbles? Cause there is no bubbles, and if it's diatoms do they go away by themselves?

Isn't cyano bacteria like little bubbles? Cause there is no bubbles, and if it's diatoms do they go away by themselves?

No, Cyano is a slimy algae that can come in a variety of colors. You're thinking of bubble algae. :)

Diatoms will go away once all the silicates in the aquarium are consumed. The new sand bed is the cause. This is where the most silicates are introduced.

EDIT: Is the blue and green in the picture just the lights? Or is it an algae too?

No, Cyano is a slimy algae that can come in a variety of colors. You're thinking of bubble algae. :)

Diatoms will go away once all the silicates in the aquarium are consumed. The new sand bed is the cause. This is where the most silicates are introduced.

EDIT: Is the blue and green in the picture just the lights? Or is it an algae too?

Ok, with water changes I have not felt it to be slimy, but if it is cyano, what can Ido for it?
It's the blue moonlights
No blue or green algae, just brown yellow like stuff on sandbed.

Ok, with water changes I have not felt it to be slimy, but if it is cyano, what can Ido for it?
It's the blue moonlights
No blue or green algae, just brown yellow like stuff on sandbed.

Then it's not Cyano. The blue lights and the diatoms mixing were just misleading there.

If you do ever get Cyano, increase water changes, lessen feedings, and siphon out as much as you can during water changes.

Then it's not Cyano. The blue lights and the diatoms mixing were just misleading there.

If you do ever get Cyano, increase water changes, lessen feedings, and siphon out as much as you can during water changes.

Thank you so much for your help. ??

Back
Top Bottom