29 gallon bio cube pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarinlove

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello... new to the thread thing. I just set up a 29 gallon bio cube... it's already cycled... and I did a 5 gallon water change with R/O water. I have about 29 pounds of fiji live rock.. 40 lbs of live sand.. and I just bought some coral frags... was wondering why my pH is still around 7.9... I just put in the bio cube protein skimmer.. i have bonded filter pads in the 2nd chamber.. protein skimmer is in the first and I was thinking about getting some carbon or something for the 2nd chamber as well... also I have the hydor koralia power head number 1 as well. what do I need to do? :confused:

Well, your supposed to top-off your tank with RO water, and your supposed to do water changes in your tank with premixed saltwater. So i hope your not doing water changes with just RO water..

How long did your cycle last? And did you did you do tests to make sure the cycle was complete? My only thought would be that the cycle never fully finished.

Yes the tank fully cycled. Both powerheads are pointed towards the top. The water flow is excellent, all the coral is really doing well. I'm just worried that eventually the pH could have an effect on the coral. I dunno.... maybe the tank just needs to establish more.

Thanks guys.

the tank just needs to establish more.

Thanks guys.

I think you're right. The unstable pH is common in young tanks. Keep an eye on your coral. You'll notice how they are taking the tank's parameters in a few days.

Just try a few more things, just to narrow down the list.

The only way to change your pH is to reduce the amount of CO2 in your water. You can either:

1.) Open a window and allow some oxygen into your home. Keep the powerheads pointed towards the surface of the water. Or you can try potted plants to increase the oxygen in your home. Adds a nice aesthetic touch, too. ;)

2.) Macroalgae with the lights on 24/7. Basic principles of High School Biology: Photosynthesis. Allow the plants to take out the CO2 and release O2.

3.) Try another test kit. Just for fun. Sometimes we all get a bad batch.

Wow thanks for the feedback!

Great to see someone trying to help me fix my problem. I have some frags of green star polyps, zoos, purple mushrooms and xenias. They all seem to be doing really well and adapting to the tank. Some of them are even starting to grab on to the live rock. I have four bumble bee snails, two sand sifters, a clown fish and now a cleaner shrimp. They all seem to be doing really well as well.

The power head is pointed to the top and the other one is at the bottom, but it seems to be the ideal water movement for the coral.

The Xenia doesn't seem to be pulsing or stretching out as much as it should. What are you recommendations for the Xenia?

Non-pulsing Xenia indicates a problem. Healthy Xenia pulse.

To my understanding, 7.8 is acceptable for saltwater aquaria, although 8.3 is ideal.

How long have the Xenia been in your tank?

Try moving it closer to light and into moderate-strong flow.

I have everything you have and also have had a ph of around 7.8 or 7.9. If you have natural substrate then that is about as low as your ph can go. The substrate will go into solution which then brings the ph back to normal. My problem is I cant keep the ph up at 8.0. All my coral and fish seem to be happy and healthy. Coral are attaching and growing and fish look and eat healthy. Check your magnesium and Alkalinity and calcium. I have heard they are all related. When I did my calcium was 800ppm and magnesium was 400ppm. Alkalinity was high. Still peicing it all together.

I dont know if you fixed your ph problem but I have a biocube with a ph of 7.8. I found an article on this web site about ph. It basically said to use an air pump and air stone to decrease CO2 and increase O2. Increase in CO2 can cause algae outbreaks. Once O2 goes up ph will stabalize. I have been mixing my own saltwater and I aerate the water, my ph goes to 8.0 for about a day. I am going to try and put air stone in my 1st chamber and see if that help. I will let you know if it stabilizes.

Pointless adding an air pump on a tank, just point the powerhead up to the surface to increase surface aggitation which gets more air into the water which gets PH up, basically the same thing that and air pump does. You may want to keep the feeding door on the hood open a tad to get more air under the hood, will also help cool the tank.

Back
Top Bottom