29 Gallon Biocube Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) just think is it worth it at the moment to make your own water. In the UK I'm on a water meter so making RO wastes a lot of water, for every good gallon you get you waste around 4. Unless your planning on keeping corals etc straight away I would save your money for the time being and if the time comes for making water you can then spend. I'm still in the planning stages of my tank so am slowly buying bits and pieces I need

Oh, yes. It is just an add-on. Whoops! I need a super inexpensive unit. I'm probably returning that one.

Cheap and good dont go together, do you have chloramines in your tap? If not than a BRS 4 stage RODI system should do the job. If you do than you will have to pay $150 more like i did. BRS 4 stage costs $140.

Additives like prime, stress coat, and others dont remove enough impurities to keep a reef or any SW for that matter. The grocery store near me sells spring water for .98 a gallon
, but its always great to have your own system.

I'm not sure if we have chloramines in our tap water or not. I'll check a bit later. I'm noticing that I need "filter floss". What's that?

I'm not sure if we have chloramines in our tap water or not. I'll check a bit later. I'm noticing that I need "filter floss". What's that?

You can just look it up. And This is bonded filter pad

image-804784228.jpg

It will filter sediments from the water colum. Also theres polyfill which does the same

image-512613450.jpg

Alrighty! Thanks! Sorry, Fishman, if I am annoying you wih my constant questions. And here's another:
I'm not exactly sure how to change or all of the filtration and such to modify the Biocube. How do I add filter floss and a that?

I would definitely up the powerhead to a 425, no matter the coral. It will give you enough flow to direct so that you dont have dead spots on your sandbed where yucky stuff can accumulate.
I think the concern with the water filter you bought is that it wont suck up enough of the nasties in tap water to actually make a difference.
Youc an also buy your water by the gallon at say walmart from their big blue water machines, about 20 or 30 cents a gallon I'm guessing.

Did you modify the filter chambers?

Hello! Tomorrow's the day imm filling up my aquarium! Anyone know if petsmart/petco sells a RO/DI?

Alrighty! Thanks! Sorry, Fishman, if I am annoying you wih my constant questions. And here's another:
I'm not exactly sure how to change or all of the filtration and such to modify the Biocube. How do I add filter floss and a that?

Dont worry, we all ask questions in the beggining. I do own a biocube so maybe another person could tell you where to put it but all you have to do is rinse it out for 10 seconds or so and then stick it in the filter/sump/what ever filtration your using. Could you post a pic of the back area so i can get a idea of what it looks like?

Hello! Tomorrow's the day imm filling up my aquarium! Anyone know if petsmart/petco sells a RO/DI?

Petsmart doesnt, petco sells over priced ocean water but thats really it. Go to your home depot, get 3 5g buckets and get some spring water from the grocery store, get a reef grade salt (i use reef crystals from IO and it works great), mix up 15g, and do it again after to fill up the tank. Or you can order a RODI system that actually works, wait 3-5 days and have it a whole lot easier lol.

Petco may sell it, ive never checked.

Cheap and good dont go together, do you have chloramines in your tap? If not than a BRS 4 stage RODI system should do the job. If you do than you will have to pay $150 more like i did. BRS 4 stage costs $140.

Additives like prime, stress coat, and others dont remove enough impurities to keep a reef or any SW for that matter. The grocery store near me sells spring water for .98 a gallon
, but its always great to have your own system.

Could I just use the ro/di I have? My tank isn't very big.

I know, but I can't get a better one, or buy water. So I'm stuck.

Do you have a grocery store near you that sells spring water? Be patient, nothing good comes from rushing in this hobby. When i started my first tank i saw two fish i really wanted but i was still cycling, keep in mind these fish were very sensitive and my ammonia was .50ppm but i still got them and they went to hell and back as it spiked and what not. Learn from my mistakes and others and dont do things on impulse.

Do you have a grocery store near you that sells spring water? Be patient, nothing good comes from rushing in this hobby. When i started my first tank i saw two fish i really wanted but i was still cycling, keep in mind these fish were very sensitive and my ammonia was .50ppm but i still got them and they went to hell and back as it spiked and what not. Learn from my mistakes and others and dont do things on impulse.

Er- I'm impatient. Today, I went over to petco and got water. I have a couple of gallons left over. I added sand and such. It's all clearing, but I put on the filter and heater. Is it too soon?

Nope, not too soon. I always setup my tanks as they will run when occupied. Just not the lights. lol
The filter may help the water clear up as well so no harm no foul.
:)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391313097.522239.jpg
Here's the tank with the nighttime lighting.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391313138.532137.jpg
These little worms are all over my live rock! What the heck are they?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391313192.990092.jpg
Sorry about this low quality picture, but is this the beginning of a coral, or just algae?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391313224.643591.jpg
This, too. Coral or algae?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391313260.150249.jpg
And this little guy. Is it a snail or what?

Thanks! The power head (now a 425) is not yet in yet. The water declouded pretty quickly, but I used this stuff that was in the sand bag and that was probably it. Is it still a bit hazy? I can't tell.

View attachment 220178
Here's the tank with the nighttime lighting.
View attachment 220179
These little worms are all over my live rock! What the heck are they?
View attachment 220180
Sorry about this low quality picture, but is this the beginning of a coral, or just algae?
View attachment 220181
This, too. Coral or algae?
View attachment 220182
And this little guy. Is it a snail or what?

Thanks! The power head (now a 425) is not yet in yet. The water declouded pretty quickly, but I used this stuff that was in the sand bag and that was probably it. Is it still a bit hazy? I can't tell.

The worms are old feather duster tubes. The second and third pic are probably sponges and the snail thing is an asterina starfish. None of the above are harmful

Back
Top Bottom