29 Gallon BioCube Reef Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewjardin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread, but i have some questions to ask if you don't mind taking the time to answer.

Well, I have had experience with coldwater, and freshwater aquariums for probably about 7 or 8 years, and I've been reasearching on nano tanks for almost a year now and decided that I would finally start one to be my first saltwater tank. At my LFS ( The Living Aquarium ), the store owner, recomended that I start off with the 29 Gallon Oceanic BioCube. The total cost will be $650.00 for the tank and "S"-stand.( Is this a good deal?) I am so excited but i'm only 13 so I don't have a job yet, but i have already saved up half the money i will need. Once the tank has cycled, I hope to have some Zoas, and mushrooms, button polyps, ect...
I don't think I will start off with too many corals, but over time I would eventually like to have the following fish/Inverts,
2 Perc. Clowns
2 Flame Firefish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

Does this sound overstocked, any problems you can point out with livestock selections? Special care needed? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanx -
Andrew

Welcome to the site!
I think as a person new to SW you might want to look at Ocellaris Clownfish. They are easier to keep than the Percs. Of course with clowns, you will want to get a mated pair or at least one that is larger then the other. You will also need to get a mated pair for the firefish, otherwise they will fight too.
I think if you shore up your list to the O clowns, a single firefish, royal gramma and you would have a great looking tank. Of course, it would be even better with a pistol shrimp to team up with a pistol goby.
Corals will depend on your lighting.

Roka64 covered it. Trim the list down like he said and make sure to add them real slowly because it is easy to overload your system by adding to many fish to fast in a tank that small. Secondly it will give you time to learn how your water parameters are going to fluctuate and all that. It took me a couple weeks with my nano to see how fast my nitrates were going to rise and the maintenance i would need to keep my levels in check.

Personally I think the list is just fine other than the blue-leg hermits (snail pickers). I would add your firefish first, then the gramma, and finally the percs.

Thanks for your answers, any advice for a beginer? Also, i'm making lists of possible fish that i would like, and will co-exist together, than I will pick out group (on my list) and post them on here just to check and make sure they will be ok together. TIA. -Andrew

:smilecolros:Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!:smilecolros:
The first suggestion I have for your biocube is to ditch all of the bioballs, sponges, filters and ceramic rings all with LR rubble.

All great suggestions as far as stocking goes. I would consider adding more snails and crabs for your clean-up crew. I much prefer scarlet reef hermits. IMO, they are nicer to look at and are a bit less aggressive.

Sorry

Sorry it took me so long to reply, i just havn't been online for a while. But anyways, thanks for all the advice, i am hoping to go to my lfs's to compare prices and make a decision. I am so excited to set up my first saltwater tank!

I currently have a 14 Gallon Biocube and definitely agree with lando i would remove the bioballs and replace them with LR Rubble, secondly, i would ditch the filter cartridge and replace it with purigen, it's 100 ml and it comes with a mesh bag. (100 ml takes care of up to 100 gallons and the purigen is rechargeable.) As far as stocking the aquarium i agree with the others.
Good Luck!
PS: It was really exciting when i got my tank as well, just make sure to take it slow!

Since it sounds like you are paying for the tank and this hobby on your own (good for you), my 2 cents includes:

1.make sure you consider the cost of live rock in your budget
2. you will need more of a cleaning crew and that can add up as well; don't forget to add those things into your budget

Have fun. It's a terrific hobby.

Back
Top Bottom