29 gallon build price,, roughly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wanting to build a 29 nano cube. I was just wondering what the cost would roughly be. Without the tank price. I'm not gonna go cheap on the stuff either, I'd like to get more of the high end of everything. Not the most expensive, but good quality stuff. If you guys could throw out a rough number, and what I would need, I'd appreciate it.

Well it matters what your set up is. Is it FOWLR or reef? Will you have a sump or HOB filter?

Fowlr is fish only with live rock right? Id like to do a reef I believe. Also I'm not sure, will an hob and canister be sufficient enough? Or should I look into a sump, I'm not really familiar with them.

The biocubes don't need a sump. I am around 600 into it thus far with my 14 gallon biocube. That is including my tank that I purchased used and my led lights took a big chunk as well. The good thing is you can add things as you go.

The biocubes don't need a sump. I am around 600 into it thus far with my 14 gallon biocube. That is including my tank that I purchased used and my led lights took a big chunk as well. The good thing is you can add things as you go.

Ok, what do you have in your tank, can you post a picture? Also, if I'm moving in about eight months, should I not even bother setting one up?

How far are you moving? I bought my tank used. It was set up and running when I bought it. I just separated my fish and corals into buckets. It wasn't very hard to move at all. Way easier than I expected. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• image-3716626991.jpg
    image-3716626991.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-586395799.jpg
    image-586395799.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 113
  • image-1441818292.jpg
    image-1441818292.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-9889282.jpg
    image-9889282.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-4056434277.jpg
    image-4056434277.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2591938698.jpg
    image-2591938698.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 80
I made a thread yesterday with info on all my equipment and livestock that is in there. Just search my username and you should be able to find it.

Will I need a protein skimmer, also where can I get some cheap nano tanks?

Yes on the skimmer. I am using the oceanic nano skimmer. Everyone seems to have bad stuff to say about it but to be honest mine is working great. I found my tank on Craigslist. Tank stand live rock live sand 2 clowns 1 domino damsel protien skimmer and power head for 130.

I would also recommend getting rid of the bio balls and getting a in tank media basket. That's my next purchase.

It takes out the trace Elmer's which cuts down on alage and some corals need it or they will brown and die.

I just finished setting up a 25 gallon. Is your tank drilled? I would recommend a sump. If you use a 10 gallon tank for a sump, you increase your overall water volume by about 30% which just increases stability. Plus, you can add all your equines (heater, skimmer, etc.) to the sump out of view in your display. I had never used a sump or refugium, but after a joy if research I was able to put one together easily.

I don't have a tank yet, I've been looking on Craig's list, or online a few places. Do you guys know of any places to find cheap nano tanks?

I don't have a tank yet, I've been looking on Craig's list, or online a few places. Do you guys know of any places to find cheap nano tanks?

Depends on a lot of things. There are usually a lot of good deals in Craigslist. If you want to go new, though, you can get set up with a kit. RedSea makes a good kit and its all there for you so don't really have to piece it together.

I just picked out all the pieces a little at a time when I found something on sale over the course of several months. What are you looking at for a budget?

I was wanting to build a 29 nano cube. I was just wondering what the cost would roughly be. Without the tank price. I'm not gonna go cheap on the stuff either, I'd like to get more of the high end of everything. Not the most expensive, but good quality stuff. If you guys could throw out a rough number, and what I would need, I'd appreciate it.

heres a quick estimate on equipment and supplies.

live rock $5/lb @ lb/gal - $150
live sand 2 bags @ $35/bag - $75
saltwater roughly $1/gal @ 25gal - $25
good pair of nano powerheads - $75
good hob filter w/over filtration - $75
good hob nano skimmer - $100
reef capable led fixture - $150

and thats just to get your started with the cycling and setup, tank and stand cost and fish and coral stock is a whole other ball game lol

Depends on a lot of things. There are usually a lot of good deals in Craigslist. If you want to go new, though, you can get set up with a kit. RedSea makes a good kit and its all there for you so don't really have to piece it together.

I just picked out all the pieces a little at a time when I found something on sale over the course of several months. What are you looking at for a budget?

I don't really have a budget in mind, I want good quality stuff over time. I'm not even gonna say a budget because I don't have enough knowledge in salt water, to give a budget. There is a good chance I'll be in the wrong ball park, or simply go over.

Back
Top Bottom