29g build small boxfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
So new to SW for the most part, have done a bit of dabbling with high end brackish and also did a natural seawater tank for a while. Next project is a standard 29g. Just looking for some ideas and suggestions.

Planning to get a boston bean cowfish, and want to build around that. For lighting I'm most likely going to use a pair of 10 led RGB floods and a 30w cool white flood (already have). I also have a jebao wp-10 that I can use for this project. I have no other equipment at this point.

I've seen some debate on skimmers, was considering a reef octopus but not sure which model to get. What about filtration? I would like to set this tank up and make it low maintenance if possible.

Is there any easy corals that can work with boxfish? What about tankmates? How much live/base rock should I go with? Any suggestions appreciated.

1. Skimmer - I would go with this. I have the larger model on my 90 and love it. Reef Octopus Classic 100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply
  2. Live Rock - Around 1lb per gallon is the commonly recommended amount. This will be your filter in the tank.
  3. Corals - I would start with some easy stuff such as Zoanthids, leathers, and mushrooms. Once the tank settles you could probably do some of the easier LPS corals such as a Duncan with little difficulty.
  4. Tank Mates - I personally would do a Kaudern's Cardinal, Royal Gramma, and a Goby of whatever type suits your fancy.

Be careful, I just did a quick search on "Boston bean" cowfish and it appears it is a mislabel. It seems it is applied to juvenile box fish/ cowfish. Which means that cute little guy will probably still get up to a foot and need a 100+ gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've done little reading on the box fish and what I've ever seem to have come up with is its best suited for at least a 100g tank. As well, in the event of its death, it's known to release a toxin that could very well nuke your entire tank before you know it's happened.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I hope that's not the case. But if it is we'll have to reconsider the options. I think the camelback boxfish is relatively small as well, but I may have to adjust tank size. I'm trying to stick with a small tank but will adjust as needed depending on what we settle on.

Mebbid, the royal gramma is one that my wife really liked, so that's good to know. I like flame angels but IDK how they'd work compatibility-wise and size wise. I also love mandarins, but I'm aware of their feeding difficulty and would have to address pod production or finding some that are taking prepared food beforehand.

You seem pretty set on some type of box :) lol.

I have a royal gramma and he is awesome. Mines out constantly and begs for food with my clown lol! Great fish and stunning colors.

Yes the tank has to be built around a boxfish, it's what the wife wants. I'm really not into SW stuff so this is new territory for me, so in the planning phase I'm going to do everything I can to make sure we get things set up right.

I hope that's not the case. But if it is we'll have to reconsider the options. I think the camelback boxfish is relatively small as well, but I may have to adjust tank size. I'm trying to stick with a small tank but will adjust as needed depending on what we settle on.

Mebbid, the royal gramma is one that my wife really liked, so that's good to know. I like flame angels but IDK how they'd work compatibility-wise and size wise. I also love mandarins, but I'm aware of their feeding difficulty and would have to address pod production or finding some that are taking prepared food beforehand.

The mandarin isn't recommended at all for a tank that size tbh. Even if they are taking prepared food they can sometimes stop altogether and go right back to just pods and it's impossible unless to keep them fed on pods in a tank that size unless you have a very healthy culture going. Even trying to buy them would be a nightmare because they can demolish huge numbers of them.

Some other fish you might look at:
Blue Reef Chromis
Catalina Goby
Possum Wrasse

If you wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank like a 40b a flasher wrasse such as a McCosker would be great.

As for the flame angel, I wouldn't recommend it as they can be a bit aggressive and that's not something you want around a Box fish

The mandarin isn't recommended at all for a tank that size tbh. Even if they are taking prepared food they can sometimes stop altogether and go right back to just pods and it's impossible unless to keep them fed on pods in a tank that size unless you have a very healthy culture going. Even trying to buy them would be a nightmare because they can demolish huge numbers of them.

Some other fish you might look at:
Blue Reef Chromis
Catalina Goby
Possum Wrasse

If you wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank like a 40b a flasher wrasse such as a McCosker would be great.

As for the flame angel, I wouldn't recommend it as they can be a bit aggressive and that's not something you want around a Box fish

Catalina's are coldwater :)

Back
Top Bottom