29G Nano-Cube Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wood82ABN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I have had this tank for the past two years and it has done me well. I really do not know much about saltwater tanks other than what I have researched on the internet. I do a 5 gallon water change every 5 weeks. I feed my fish daily, feed the coral every 3 days and clean the glass every other day with a magnetic glass cleaner. I do have some algae on the back wall and on a couple of rocks. It does not bother me that much and does not seem to be causing a problem with the fish or coral that I have.

I am open to suggestions about re-structuring rocks/coral. I am open for suggestions on how to get rid of algae...

Glen

Attachments

• IMG308.jpg
    IMG308.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG309.jpg
    IMG309.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG310.jpg
    IMG310.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 131
Love the tank! If you want to get rid of the algae you could get a phosban reactor & GFO media to lower phosphates (although you're phosphate reading will probably read 0 since the phosphates are being used up by the algae). An easier/cheaper solution might just be to do more frequent water changes. Maybe do a 5 gallon water change every 1-2 weeks. If you want to change your water more frequently I suggest going slow like changing 5 gallons every 4 weeks then to 3 then 2 etc. Other than that, everything seems to be thriving!

Thank you. I will start to change the water more frequently. No rush though as the algae does not bother me so much. The white goby eats the heck out of the algae.

What white goby is that? Blue or pink spotted goby? I wasn't sure which one to get; I suppose they all do a great job.

Here it is. When i scoop out a little bit of water in preparation for feeding, the goby begs right with the clown fish... It's a funny guy.

ForumRunner_20120923_185119.jpg

Awesome! Might get one. Still deciding between the one you have or a golden headed sleeper goby I believe it's called. :D

Convict2161 said:
Hey! That's a sweet tank ya go there. What is your water change schedule like?

Five gallons every five weeks. I rinse the filters in the back every week. Other than that.... That's about it.

obscurereef said:
Awesome! Might get one. Still deciding between the one you have or a golden headed sleeper goby I believe it's called. :D

I don't know much about goby but this little guy is cool. He has been doing great so far.

Wood82ABN said:
Five gallons every five weeks. I rinse the filters in the back every week. Other than that.... That's about it.

That's just amazing! I do 5 gallons every weekend on my BC29!!

I'd be scared to go that long lol. Awesome job!

The glass is spotless!! Whatever your doing keep on doing it! My tank has been up for a little over 9 months now. I hope mine looks that clean in 2 years.

image-1775073551.jpg

Last edited:
Well I agree with the rest... For 5 gallons every 5 weeks that looks looks awesome so even I think it you were to come down to weekly water changes to pretty much solve the problem in a couple of months... You could also try installing a skimmer and maybe get some turbo snails and a pistol shrimp to help aerate the sand bed... Really is a super looking tank...

Wood82ABN said:
Hey everyone,

I have had this tank for the past two years and it has done me well. I really do not know much about saltwater tanks other than what I have researched on the internet. I do a 5 gallon water change every 5 weeks. I feed my fish daily, feed the coral every 3 days and clean the glass every other day with a magnetic glass cleaner. I do have some algae on the back wall and on a couple of rocks. It does not bother me that much and does not seem to be causing a problem with the fish or coral that I have.

I am open to suggestions about re-structuring rocks/coral. I am open for suggestions on how to get rid of algae...

Glen

Wat kind of lights you have on the tank?

Wood82ABN said:
Here it is. When i scoop out a little bit of water in preparation for feeding, the goby begs right with the clown fish... It's a funny guy.

That I believe is a diamond goby

Convict2161 said:
That's just amazing! I do 5 gallons every weekend on my BC29!!

I'd be scared to go that long lol. Awesome job!

The glass is spotless!! Whatever your doing keep on doing it! My tank has been up for a little over 9 months now. I hope mine looks that clean in 2 years.

Thank you. You have a ton of really cool coral in there!

Craigj247 said:
Well I agree with the rest... For 5 gallons every 5 weeks that looks looks awesome so even I think it you were to come down to weekly water changes to pretty much solve the problem in a couple of months... You could also try installing a skimmer and maybe get some turbo snails and a pistol shrimp to help aerate the sand bed... Really is a super looking tank...

Thank you. I actually had a bunch of snails but the crabs kill them and rob the shells. Ha Now i just have two emerald crab and one peppermint shrimp.

Sharkbait54 said:
Wat kind of lights you have on the tank?

I just have the halide bulbs that came with the setup. I would like to switch to led soon though.

After doing a bunch of reading through the forum i come to the conclusion... My tank is the way it is because i have no idea what I'm doing!

I started with sand and rock. After one month i added a Kenya tree and mushrooms. I didn't add fish for six months. I slowly added different coral, two clown fish, goby, shrimp, crabs and snails...

When i do water changes i bring a sample to the fish store for them to test the water. I've never checked my water and to be honest, have no idea how to do it. When i need to add a little water i use distilled water.

I really need to learn more about this hobby! Ha If people ask about having a salt water tank i always tell them it's very easy and basically takes care of itself. That's because that has been my experience.

:) you have been lucky my friend... I learned my lessons the hard way... I think if you can do the topping up with RO/DI water even that will help... Algae is something we all go through you can only maintain and control it...

:) you have been lucky my friend... I learned my lessons the hard way... I think if you can do the topping up with RO/DI water even that will help... Algae is something we all go through you can only maintain and control it...

Would you say that having the day lights on for only six hours a day helps to reduce the amount of algae?

Me personally, I do not think it is out of control in my tank and I like the way it flows on the back wall. :facepalm:

If it became any worse, I would definitely do more to keep it under control though.

Back
Top Bottom