3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I posted my supply list a few days ago, and here is the thread where I will post updates and progress pics. I am documenting this process here because I will be using my reef tank for a work presentation. If you have any comments or suggestions, please post them here! I look forward to bringing updates as I set up this tank.

I have the following supplies so far: (I may upgrade the lighting and make various upgrades later)

- JBJ 3 Gallon Picotope (I must say this is a very well-built little tank. It is all glass, and feels sturdy. I think that this aquarium is a great deal at $39, with an acceptable filter and light. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting one! Then again, I haven't actually stocked it yet, so take my opinions with a grain of salt :)
- Tetra submersible 50-watt heater
- Medium Mag-Float
- Marina Large breeding box (using as a HOB refugium)
- Azoo 160 Powerhead (not much flow, but I think that's ok considering I will create a lot of flow with the stock filter and breeder box)
- **Stock JBJ pico-filter and 9w 50/50 lamp
- Tetra air pump 10i (for breeder box intake. I will be adding a stronger pump soon)
- Coralife Deep-Six hydrometer (I will be purchasing a refractometer in the near future as well)
- 10 gallon Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
- RO/DI Water (I am planning on purchasing water from LFS for now)
- Coralife digital thermometer
- API Saltwater master test kit
- API Calcium test kit
- Seachem Ammonia Alert
- API Phosphate test kit
- CaribSea Ocean Direct live sand 5 lbs

I will be purchasing the following before I add water to my aquarium:

- 3 to 4 pounds of LR
- Enough Chaeto to fill 2/3 of the HOB breeder box

Here are some pics of the aquarium, minus water and a few other pieces of equipment. How does it look? I am mixing my saltwater at the moment, so stay tuned!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388453186.620378.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388453216.671149.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388453264.356695.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388453305.925455.jpg

First pics of LR cycling :) Water is still pretty cloudy. I will be adding some frozen brine shrimp to start cycling soon. I don't know if I should be concerned about the micro bubbles around the rim? Maybe I'll add a biocube skimmer... What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388520081.431574.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388520112.781324.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388520139.366330.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388520199.836706.jpg

The bubbles will eventually go away. No new to get a skimmer. Keep up your water changes and make sure parameters are in check!

Ok -- no need for a skimmer, that's what I read. It seemed like it might help with the film on the surface, but I'm sure water changes will take care of that. Thanks for the help!

I haven't really made a solid plan yet, however I am thinking about a few mushrooms and a small zoa colony. I will have to look at my LFS to get a better idea of what they are currently stocking.

@Frankie_Garcia thanks for the help! I didn't think of using a net for this. I'll try it.

@aquaticlife32 Oh yeah, probably a few blue leg hermits and some Astraea. Just a basic cuc :)

Yeah, maybe some peppermint shrimp. Any suggestions? I haven't kept any shrimp before, especially not in such a small build.

Sounds like a great idea... I don't have much experience but I know those guys are nice and small!

This is my first saltwater build, so I'm just taking it slow and doing as much research as I can. This tank will be pretty simple overall (just a few hardy corals, inverts, and some chaeto if that counts lol :p.) I am kind of using this tank to become accustomed to saltwater so that when I upgrade to a larger tank it will seem easier by comparison (in terms of water parameters.) I don't know if that makes sense, but that's why I'm doing this tank.

Back
Top Bottom