36 gal corner bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah I know they are very cool looking and very active. I now have an orange star which is also great to look at when it comes out of the rock work.

I got some more goddies and the current corals are adapting to the halides 12inches above the tank. Ill update the thread tommorrow when the i turn the lights on. looking forward to what you guys think

well here ar some pics of the new goodies

I got a Stylophora Coral aka cats paw pink thats around 12" wide

A torch coral that was free because it is starting to bleach out, I decide to take it and see it it would heal in my tank. If it dont then there is no lbiggie since it was free

and last but not least i got a Cabbage Leather Coral which is verry cool

Attachments

• 0707001201d.jpg
    0707001201d.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 0707001201c.jpg
    0707001201c.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 0707001201b.jpg
    0707001201b.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 0707001201a.jpg
    0707001201a.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 49
Tank rearranged

Well I rearranged my tank. I had to get some fish out of the tank and had to take everything out in order to do so. The torch coral that I had didn't make it which I figured it wouldn't. Well here is a new pic. Oh yeah I am now in the hunt for a 54g or a 92g corner bow front.

Attachments

• 0712001447.jpg
    0712001447.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 72
I think you should return all your corals and start over...................NOT...looks great!!!

How long have you had your Goniopora? Do you do supplemental feeding for it? I really like those coral but most people find their survival rate to be rather dismal. Depending on how the filtration does in my new tank i might try one if i can find an aquacultured piece and be able to feed it without spiking my nitrates.

as far as the goniopora goes, I got them from a lfs taht had them for about 6 months in a display tank. the day I went in looking for corals he was tearing the tank down to set up a larger one. I convinced him to sell me both of them the green mushrooms and the green star polyps. All he had ever fed the goniopora was phytoplankton. In my tank I feed a frozen brine, mysis, spirulina, pink shrimp mix from H2O life Aquarium foods. I soak it in live phyto plankton every day, I feed the tank twice a day, half a cube in the morning and half a cube in the evening. I also feed the tank a hand full of live mysis shrimp once a week. the flow in my tank moves everything around and everything gets fed. I dont target feed. Ive had them for about 5 months now and they seem to be doing well. I'll have to see what happens as more time goes by.

Yeah that is a lot of feeding. Probably why they are doing well. They look great. I'll keep an eye on the thread to check in on them.

another goodie in my tank

Well every time my one of my LFS gets a new shipment he sends out emails and everybody rushes out to the store the day of opening and waits for the store to open. When it opens people run in like little kids to call dibs on all of the new exotic things that came in. Well I experienced that today for the first time. After all was said and done i was left in the store with nothing to choose as for all of the new things were spoken for. Well the LFS owner saw that I didnt get to pick anything and asked me what I was looking for, I asked him why everybody was in such a frenzy to buy chalices (I havent done any research on chalices) so he showed me all of the rare chalices he had in his show tank and what each one of them were. He then explained to me that chalices where the equivalent of designer hand bags in the coral world. He then showed me some frags that he had cut a month ago, he told me they where Tyree Emerald Mummy Eye Chalice. He told me he would sell me a frag for $100 but that didnt convince me. Then he said to me "take it for $65 it has 5 eyes on it and four more are growing on it, go home and google it and you will see how good of a deal I gave you". I bought it and took it home. Here are some pics of it. After googleing it it seems to me that I got a **** of a deal. **** Yeah!

Attachments

• 071710142901.jpg
    071710142901.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 0717101429a01.jpg
    0717101429a01.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 0717101429a.jpg
    0717101429a.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 67
that is quite the deal. Ive seen them go for $50+ an eye. Chalices are nice, but they have never really done it for me. Have awesome colors and are great, but super slow growing and just encrust most of the time.
None the less, a sweet pickup for sure!

I bought a purple with green eyes chalice when I first started for $30AUD. It was a 4.5inch diameter one (it was a circle) and had about 15-20 eyes on it.

Was it a Tyree? People go nuts for Tyree's stuff. Most of his frags have waiting lists, and some are sold out for over a year. I was trying to get his Royal Plum Acro, Next available frag is like August of next year.

well ive been doing research on Tyree corals and apparently they are very exclusive and very expensive. Well It dont matter to me the piece that I got wheter it is a Tryree or not is definetly cool and worth the price I payed for it

tank update

I didn't mean to come off like a jerk with my last post. Im sorry if I did I was just trying to say that I liked the coral whether I got a deal or not.

Ok now for the update.

I dont have a pic loaded on the PC but I will do it as soon as I can, The Cat's Paw coral started turning purple and brown on me . I think it is diatoms on it. I havent quite figured it out since it has very heavy water flow on it. I also changed my CPR skimmer for a reef octopus skimmer and wow what a difference. I still feed my tank twice a day and my fish are really fat and my corals and ivertebrates are huge. My diamond gobby I had for about a week fell victim to a rock flower anemone this morning. Its a dog eat dog workd in the salt water aquarium world.

My latest hipo tang is about 3 inches long and very fat, my lfs that I have the deal with is getting some smaller ones in this week so I will be making the swap soon. (people seem to like the chunky hippos that come from my house).

I am working on building a sump but the largest that can fit under my tank is a 10 gallon tank. I am planning on keeping cheato in it since my nitrates fluctuate between 15 & 20 ppm due to over feeding. I want them to be as low as possible.

I am also ready to frag my zoas, I have a bunch of incredible hulk zoas and fire and ice zoas that are gowing nicely in my tank i just have no idea how much to sell frags of 5 or 10 polyps for. Ive been doing research on them and some people sell them as common zoas and some sell them as rare. Any input on them will help

Post some close ups on the zoas. what they look like *usually* matters more then their name. some F&I morphs look like crap.

Back
Top Bottom