4g Pico Reef Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE:

I went to my LFS store and made some coral purchases. Correct me if I'm wrong with the ID of the corals (I'll post the corals tomorrow when my day lights are on), I don't know the exact names of them but I know the general names of them. I got a Acropora (Green), Monitpora (Orange) and a nice bright green 5+ zoas.

FYI, all the polyps came out within the first 5 minutes of putting them in.

Whoa correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you just set the tank up like 2 days ago? No way it is cycled. The acro will need a lot more light as will the monti.

I forgot to mention before that I put a raw shrimp in the tank and this live bacteria that breaks down the waste. I watched the ammonia and the nitrate spike and came down to trace of the parameters with those 2 Days.

That's crazy fast...just monitor params over the next couple days and do wc as needed. Luckily in such a small tank wc are easy. I wouldn't of started with two sps corals though, especially acropora. My advice atm is to slow down and upgrade the lights. I've been wrong before but those lights aren't gonna keep that acro happy for long. I'd still love to see pics though :). Sorry if I'm being a negative nancy

I forgot to mention before that I put a raw shrimp in the tank and this live bacteria that breaks down the waste. I watched the ammonia and the nitrate spike and came down to trace of the parameters with those 2 Days.

How high did they spike? It usually takes longer than 2 days just to see your ammonia spike

That's what I said to myself but I saw the ammonia and the nitrate go up on my tank, I don't know how but it did.

How high did the ammonia and trites spike?? I had an 8 day cycle myself using dr tims stuff and that was really really quick.....

You said you used used water, that does not make it cycled by the way nor does it help. The beneficial bacteria reside on teh hard surfaces of rock and sand not in the water. :-(

I';d also agree with the above, slow down a bit....An acro is definitely not something you wanna add to a new tank. The monti might be ok if placed high up enough to the light...

I like porcelain personally, and emeralds too. Very entertaining little guys. :)

You keep mentioning that your nitrates spiked, not your nitrites...
You sure the tank was cycled completely? If you saw no nitrite spike, then it probably isn't over.

Back
Top Bottom