5.5g nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there guys I want to start up a 5.5g nano. Want to know where I can begin with this difficult project!

hey !

i have a small 23l nano tank, some sand, about 12 lbs of live rock, a small filter with a spray bar built in for surface water agitation , a small power head, heater and light and thats it, all you need.

i clean out the filter every week and cut the filter pads to fit and carry out 1/3 water change every week or less. water levels are all fine, nearly 1 year old tank.

Is this your first SW tank? Or just first nano? If its first SW, just wanna make sure you know that a 5g nano will be a very difficult size to start with. Less water means less forgiving in any mistakes made in water parameters. You should start with a lot of research. There's going to be a very small group of possible inhabitants for this tank. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. :D

I have a 5 gal fluval chi pico tank. I have live rock, pool filter sand, small HOB filter, thermometer, heater, lid for tank, 200gph pico circulation pump, a par38 bulb, and an API master test kit.

In my HOB I have live rock rubble instead of filter cartridges. I have a piece of filter pad to catch any larger debris.

I check my salinity everyday and top off with RO water.
I buy the petco natural seawater and it seems to be doing great.

Inhabitants: 1 emerald crab
2 nassarius snail
6 hermits (3 dwarf blue legs and 3 red legs)
Feather duster worms
2 cerith snails.
Zoanthids
Candy cane coral

My advice is to go slow. Read up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't done so already. Since it is such a small water volume things can go wrong fast. Take your time and do your research and it should all turn out just fine. I've had my pico running since 8-22-12 (almost 3 months) and I haven't had any problems except for some hair algae. It's a fun hobby. Best of luck! I will be following along!

S3Reefer said:
I would put a clown and a dartdfish in there along with an astrea snail and some hermits...

I would suggest doing only one fish. 2 fish will have a huge bioload and you'll have to do multiple pwcs each week to keep the nitrates down. Nitrates=Nutrients. Then you'd get algae and/or Cyanobacteria etc etc.

An emerald crab or Pom Pom crab will be a good addition to the tank. I've attempted twice to have a clown goby, but both times they didnt make it. I'm thinking in the future I will get a fire shrimp and a Pom Pom crab to add to my tank. Maybe some sexy shrimp as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom