5 gal with built in filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i have a spare 5 gal tank and some spare plexiglass. what i want to do is make the built in filtration on the back wall. i was thinking about 1 1/2" wide. i have some extra black sand in my freshwater tank i could steal it from. i will rinse it to make sure it is suitable for the tank. i also have a powerhead rated for 100 gal/hour which i will use for the back wall fltration(i know its called a fuge i just like saying back wall lol) i was going to put a sponge in the first compartment, live rock rubble in the second compartment and maybe some filter floss in the third. i may add an extra powerhead later depending on the flow i am getting. and also are there any reccomended fuge designs? like baffle placements? i was going to order theCORALIFE 9" 2X9 watt fixture. will this be enough to grow most soft corals? will i be able to have any fish in this tank or would it be more like shrimp and snails and stuff. am i missing anything? so for things i will need the list is as follows:
coralife fixture
powerhead
50 watt heater
sand

sound about right? besides the live rock, rubble and corals? i was originally going to do a smaller tank but i would like more stocking options. i have no problems with doing weekly or even daily waterchanges to keep the tank pristine. thanks for the help.

It could work. I suggest going to the LFS and seeing if they have a nanocube or aquapod for you to look at. It will give you a better idea of how to set up the back. I have that same fixture on my new 2.5gal. It should work for a good variety of softies.

they have the aquapod there but i cant really see becasue it is all filled. i understand the basics but just need a sketch of how it is blocked off. i think it is something like this
1 1 1 1
1 sponge 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 live rock rubble 1 1
1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 pump 1
1 1 1 1 1
1 1 possibly sand 1

how does that look lol?what kind of fish would be abale to go ina set up like this? anything or nothing? i am guessing it will be about 4 gal after fuge.

lol wow that didnt work at all there did it. it should have looked liek this...

1SSS1xxxxxxxxxxxxxx1xxxx1
1SSS1xx1xxxxxxxxxxx1xxxx1
1SSS1xx1xxxxxxxxxxx1xxxx1
1SSS1xx1OOOOOOOO1xxxx1
1xxxxxx1OOOOOOOOxxxxx1
1xxxxxx1OOOOOOOOxxxxx1

1 is the walls, O are live rock S is the sponge and x is water.
i hope that will work. any fish suggestions? is my powerhead strong enough? is there a better light option? all comments on this would be awesome.

Don't worry about it. For some reason it looks fine on my email. Not like what is above. It gives me a good idea of what you are going for. Fish options for this size tank are pretty limited. Look at either a green or yellow clown goby. They do well by themselves or as a pair and do not swim much. They like to perch on corals and rocks. Put in a skunk cleaner and a peppermint shrimp and a few reef hermits and that is about it. It will be a nice little set-up.

Back
Top Bottom