5 Gallon Reef Startup Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan to start a 5 gallon nano reef tank. Tomorrow I will purchase everything that I need but would like to see if I have everything for success.

A 5 Gallon tank, Aragonite Sand, 5-7 Pounds of Dry rock, Aquaclear 20 HOB filter, heater, 2 power heads, lighting, RODI water, salt, refractormeter.

Does my list sound complete, I don't think I will need a skimmer since the tank is so small.

I plan to cycle the tank with a dead shrimp since ive read that is quite common. What is the best kind of lighting I will need LED wise since it is such a small tank and I want to keep medium light corals and 2 Gobys.

I have a 4g innovative marine tank and rockin a JBJ unibody LED light. Sure it's probably somewhat overkill for the tank, but the controller lets you tweak the lighting to where it's efficient enough for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of Gobies? They may not have enough territory in a small tank. Also for a very small tank like that I used LR and sand, since I didn't need very much of it and "bam" basically already cycled.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425222011.667655.jpg

That jbj unibody light is still kickin. I'm rockin a sharknose goby and a couple of peppermint shrimp. Happy tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom