5 gallon with carpet anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my 5 gal round tank tied in with my 100 gal system!
36volt par 38 lighting this tank!
Power head to give lots of flow!
Can I have a carpet nem in there for my 2 tiny clowns to host?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have my 5 gal round tank tied in with my 100 gal system!
36volt par 38 lighting this tank!
Power head to give lots of flow!
Can I have a carpet nem in there for my 2 tiny clowns to host?

1. one clownfish shouldnt be kept in a 10, let alone a 5. So clownfish shouldnt be kept in there to begin with
2. Carpet anemone get HUGE. like way bigger than a 5 gallon.
3. i could see potentially a mini maxi in a 5 g but no clownfish.

I have clowns in my 100 gal, they don't travel hardly at all! I think tank size is about nutrient export more then swimming area, my 5 gal is part of my 100 gal system so nutrients are not an issue at all! As for the carpet nem I know they get big, but why can't it be in my small tank until it does get big?

I have clowns in my 100 gal, they don't travel hardly at all! I think tank size is about nutrient export more then swimming area, my 5 gal is part of my 100 gal system so nutrients are not an issue at all! As for the carpet nem I know they get big, but why can't it be in my small tank until it does get big?

clownfish get up to 3 inches each + and are not suitable bioload wise, i would not put them in there but as i have found my advise does not go to far to those with a stubborn mind. I am just saying for their health i would not do this.

if you want to put a regular carpet nem in there you can, im just saying long term it will not work but if you have somewhere you can put the nem when it gets to large then i would say go ahead

Most carpet nems will eat a clownfish before being hosted. Especially if they're ocellaris. Just not a good idea.

My occ clowns are the exact opposite. They travel all over my 90g. Some of the more active fish ive owned.

Gotta agree with no clowns in a 5g tank. Bioload or not, there is not enough room in there for two half way grown clowns. Maybe while they're tiny but once they start to grow they gotta come outta there. lol
The nem, well I cant see why you couldnt keep it in there, at least til it gets huge. As long as it has the proper lighting it should be fine.
I wouldnt trust a nem like that with two tiny clowns myself.

I certainly never expected to keep them in there forever! They are just 1 inch long, I was hoping to keep them in there for the short term. If a carpet is a bad idea, would a rbt be a better choice for these guys?

In terms of an anemone hosting the clowns, most of the clowns we keep aren't generally accepted into a symbiotic relationship with an anemone besides the BTA's. Does it happen? Yeah, of course. I've even seen a blue tang think it was a clown in a giant BTA. Odd things happen all the time, but some anemone like carpets want a snack more than a friend.

I was surprised when I read that a carpet would host clowns! Can't trust everything you read!

Back
Top Bottom