5gal nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaMan01

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you make 5 gallon nano reefs? No fish, just reef and a few shrimp or something? Then give them alternative light cycles with one light maybe? Seems like that's make a pretty good decoration in a home having a few nano-reefs like that.

Potentially yes, but everything can change in the blink of an eye. If you can go bigger I would, but yes, a 5 could work

I just visited a saltwater aquarium shop, they have several very small ones on display from 4-8 gallons with coral growing in them etc. I might buy a Nevu small tank with built in light and filter etc just to get the hang of raising coral and the fish. And when the coral get bigger the aquarium shop buys them back for what they're worth which will be more than what they're bought for, then they sell them to larger aquariums

Its very easy to set up a 5 gallon reef, just remember that if you come from a fw background some things are different. I like your idea of inverts & coral. You can do 3 sexy shrimp, a feather duster and some snails for a clean up crew and have lots of life in there. But with corals you will need some good lighting and maybe some extra water flow over stock. Just do some solid research on peacefull, easy care, low/medium light/flow corals. Enjoy!

Its very easy to set up a 5 gallon reef, just remember that if you come from a fw background some things are different. I like your idea of inverts & coral. You can do 3 sexy shrimp, a feather duster and some snails for a clean up crew and have lots of life in there. But with corals you will need some good lighting and maybe some extra water flow over stock. Just do some solid research on peacefull, easy care, low/medium light/flow corals. Enjoy!

The sexy shrimp aren't part of your clean up crew. They are simply inverts in the aquarium. The same with the feather duster. A CUC mainly consists of hermits an snails, because they change the forms of Detritus (food and poop) into just poop. Shrimp and feather dusters don't.

I decided not to go with it yet. I plan on buying a house within the next year so I'll just wait till then, I'm setting money aside to do a bigger SW tank. I'm using the 5g to house smaller fish for food

The sexy shrimp aren't part of your clean up crew. They are simply inverts in the aquarium. The same with the feather duster. A CUC mainly consists of hermits an snails, because they change the forms of Detritus (food and poop) into just poop. Shrimp and feather dusters don't.

I did not mean it was a part of a cuc but after reading my post id does read that way, opps!

When I do make a coral SW tank I'll probably make a neat finding nemo themed kind of thing haha

Clown goby will work as well as other small goby's

Back
Top Bottom