6.5 Gallon TruVu Mini Reef in the works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben0341

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, used to be a member on this site years ago but cant even remember the email address I had at that time! So anyways here I am now and back with my third salt water tank. I picked this tank up off craigslist and it has been established for a year. The guy I got it from had an entire room dedicated to reef, it was amazing. So i know this tank has been taken care of, I just have a few questions about lighting.

Specs about the tank....

6.5 Gallon Acrylic TruVu w/built in overflo and built in sump
CPR Backpack Skimmer
macro algae refugium
built in return
coralife MINI T-5 12 watt total 50/50 (fixture right above tank)
In top of hood is a coralife 28 watt actinic fixture
Also a 10 watt DIY Zoo Med Daylight Fixture in Hood
x4 White LED in Hood over refugium
2.7 watt Blue Moon Led Strip on top of tank/water

Everything is doing very well, I do a 1-2 gallon water change ever week or so because it is such a small tank and I want it to have the best water possible. Anyways here are a few questions I have...

My clown looks pregnant....its the only one in there, but it "poops" out orange stuff, and looks really fat around the belly area. Suggestions on what I should do? Could I breed?

The Anemone is a whole nother story. It is a Bubble tip anemone, it is green with bright pink tips but the questions I have are that it seems to morph all the time. One minute it will be really big with long skinny tentacles reaching almost 3-4 inches high, and the next minute it will be short and fat and puffy, and the next minute it will look like it is opening up its mouth really big and looks really bad, but then it will bounce right back and look EXTREMELY healthy, if not better than the time before...Anyways suggestions would be appreciated...Ill post pics

Last question is the lighting..I want to put more coral in there, not sure what yet, but do I have enough lighting or would somebody suggest me making another DIY 10 watt fixture on the other side of the hood? ( look at pics)Any thoughts on what all of the coral in there is would be nice.

In the picture of the anemone without the rock and sucked to the side of the tank, it seriously looks like hes dying but in about 5 minutes or so he will be full and completely normal and healthy looking....SO CONFUSED!
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

He almost looks like a GBTA, but then again in some pics it looks like a long tenacle ....maybe im wrong.

Thanks for the help, hope you guys like the tank!:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 148
Some more pictures.

more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 125
and finally this coral, is it normal for it to look like this, and then fully extend to about an inch for each polyp...

Attachments

• IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 132
The 1" extending coral is normal. It's a Goniopora and as you may have guessed requires particulate feedings (Cyclopeez is nice)

thanks, props to the iphone 4 for all the pictures!

thanks for the info on the Goniopora, you know what I dont understand is for a while there i was feed cyclopeez and it was loving it, and reacting very well. (I have never direct fed). I switched it up and decided to use frozen brine, and a mixture of flake and ever since I stopped using the cyclopeez it barley protrudes from the rock.....not sure what happened! I will try switching back to cyclopeez as a supplement. thanks for the advice.

Frozen brine isn't particulate by any means. The polyps have no way of consuming an entire shrimp hehe.

Back
Top Bottom