6 gal Eclipse set up for total newbie to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally I have found out that my hubby will be more willing to let me get a really big tank (150+ gal) if it is a salt water. I do have at least 6 months before we would move to a home that could handle a tank that big. Before I comitt my 29 gal to SW (not sure SW is for me yet) I thought maybe I could set the 6 gal Eclipse up with some LR, LS maybe a goby and a shrimp or two.
I really have no real clue about SW, but think I have the FW pretty much down.
So... What do I need to do to get a 6 gal SW?
1) what do I need to buy? what quanties of LR and LS?
2) water temp normally is 75ish, do I need a heater? What size heater for a tank this small?
3) How does cycling differ from fresh water? Can I buy bacteria like I can for FW?
4) What are the parameters for what I am hoping to do?
EEK, help! 8O

what do I need to buy? what quanties of LR and LS?
the first thing you should buy is a good book on SW aquariums. I recommend "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. 1.5-2lbs per gal of LR and a 3-4inch sand bed should give you great biological filtration.
water temp normally is 75ish, do I need a heater? What size heater for a tank this small?
Most here keep their SW tanks at 78-80 degrees. One 50 watt heater should be fine, depending on the size of tank.
How does cycling differ from fresh water? Can I buy bacteria like I can for FW?
Different bacteria. It just takes time to cycle. There are really no short-cuts. Do not waste your money on those "cycling" addatives like Bio-Spira or anything similar. Spend the mney on more LR instead.
What are the parameters for what I am hoping to do?
You can learn all about in the book you buy. The basics...Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG, temp to start.
I second the idea of checking out the JBJ Nano Cubes. Bigger then the six gal Eclipse and they allow you to really modify the filtering methods, not true with the eclipse. Remeber...bigger is better to start. Good luck...Lando

Lando has given you some great advice and I would like to add a couple of comments.

Lando said
bigger is better to start.
That's because with a larger volume of water you have more room for error. Small tanks are harder to keep (except for the experienced).

The best advice I ever received on this site is Nothing Good ever happens quickly in a marine aquarium. Take your time, read the Fenner book and the
Articles, then come back and ask lots of questions.

I did fw for many years before taking the dive into sw. My first sw tank is my 125 and I recently converted my Eclipse12 QT tank into my cbs and hermit crab home.

From my earliest FW attemps I do have a AquaClear 301 power head. This would be too much water circulation for a 6 gal right? Especially since it can pump up to 174 gals per hour? Is the Eclipse system enough water circulation for LR?
Got the stats on the LR, LS and Heater! Thanks :D Been reading alot of older posts, I really am looking forward to see what my LR might bring me. I know how important water quality is, and patience even more! I am really looking at this as a type of test. If I don't feel like the extra work is worth the reward, then I have found out pretty cheaply!
Normally I wouldn't even consider a SW with less than 29-30 gals. But since I am not allowed any more tanks... :roll: I have to make the best out of the situation. Going to pick up some books at Barnes & Noble (and a coffee :wink: ). Since my 29gal is currently occupied with healthy FW fish... can't consider using it. Although I am not picking up any new FW fish, one of the plecos is going to a friend's tank. But I love those plecos... so no large tank until I can get the hubby to catch SW fever! twisted:

also when your adding top offs dont be dumb like me and add salt to your top off... after about a couple days of flucuating salinity it struck me that water evaporates and the salt stays... DOH!

Back
Top Bottom