84 degrees!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So ive been out all day and i just get home and my reef water is 84 degrees. My AC was off all day and it just got too warm. I dont see anything dead but im very worried. Any input?

Jacobsal91 said:
So ive been out all day and i just get home and my reef water is 84 degrees. My AC was off all day and it just got too warm. I dont see anything dead but im very worried. Any input?

84 degrees should not be too much of a problem. Bring the temp down slowly and you should be ok.

Time will tell in a few days if anything has been affected at all. Suggest keeping your air on, any higher and you could run into problems.

If your tank is an open top you should invest in some aquarium cooling fans... They really help.... Brought my tank temp from 29 down to 25.

I have a cooling fan, these compact lights are terrible. I clean literally everything perfectly every week and just over the course of one night its all covered in algae, Im starting to get discouraged with even owning saltwater

All water parameters are perfect, i do weekly waterchanges, i even dont turn the lights on. Its out of sunlight but algae still grows im getting sick of scrubbing i cant seem to figure out the cause of this

How long has your tank been running? Algea will grow, and for the most part there is no way to get rid of all of it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
How long has your tank been running? Algea will grow, and for the most part there is no way to get rid of all of it.

About 6 months by now. It hasnt been a problem until recently i cant figure it out

Jacobsal91 said:
About 6 months by now. It hasnt been a problem until recently i cant figure it out

I'd get new lights or replace the bulbs in the current ones. Or, decrease the hours.

I always keep bags of ice in the fridge for when the tank gets too hot

I would like to change to led light but the are very expensive. Im going to start woth decreasing hours see how that works before making any big
Purchases. Thank you everyone

Hmmm do you have a deep sand bed.... Have you got live rock in the tank? Also do you have bio media in the filter?

Jacobsal91 said:
All water parameters are perfect, i do weekly waterchanges, i even dont turn the lights on. Its out of sunlight but algae still grows im getting sick of scrubbing i cant seem to figure out the cause of this

Dont get discouraged bro, algae is ugly, but we all go through it at some point. If your willing to provide info on your maintenance routine and setup/stock im sure we can get this problem cleared up.

Algae is never a quick fix though.

I have a 12 gallon nano reef, 'aquapod' (basically a biocube with compact floresents. I do weekly waterchanges on thursdays after scrubbing algae and use airline tubing to suck up the water
Soi can get as much organic
Matter as possible before draining too much water. I do not have a skimmer but i ordered one should get it soon. I have carbon and a sponge in filter until i get skimmer and gather live rock rubble at my job next week (work at LFS). I have a few colony polyps and a feather duster worm. Along with one emerald crab and about 11 hermits and 3 mexican turbo snails and an unknown snail that im not really sure where it even came from. Fish wise i have a percula clown and a small fairy wrasse (i know thats a decent bio load for 12gal but i clean frequently). About 20lb of live sand and another 20 lb of live rock. I seem to be in pretty decent shape minus the sponge and lack of a skimmer i just dont understand where the algae is coming from. The turbo snails did an amazing job on removing hair algae off the live rock. But its mainly on the glass now and i cant make it go away.

Well it sounds like the algae problem you have is pretty ok... Anything that can be controlled is not too bad... Should reduce even further once the skimmer gets there... Might I suggest vacuuming the sand when you do the water changes. Since you dint have a goby or a pistol shrimp there is not much sand sifting that happens... Nitrate pickets can build up under the sand and slowly leak out over a period if time... Vacuuming the San can control this syndrome in reef tanks...

I agree, but be careful not to stri up the sand bed too much. If you do it can release alot of built up ammonia and cause a spike... This would be very bad for your tank and fih

I use the airline tubing to suck up the sand and what not. It allows slower water flow do i can more efficently get all the organic matter. I hope the skimmer
Is going to help :-/
Thanks
Guys

Jacobsal91 said:
I use the airline tubing to suck up the sand and what not. It allows slower water flow do i can more efficently get all the organic matter. I hope the skimmer
Is going to help :-/
Thanks
Guys

The organic matter is also below the sand bed surface. Siphoning your sand bed is a mandatory step that many ignore because cleaning sand with a gravel vac can be a little tricky, especially with the small grain sizes but it must be done, especially with higher bioloads like yours.

Jacobsal91 said:
I just basically suck up the top layer, thats how to basically do it right?

Not exactly, you need an appropriate size gravel vac. The finer the sand the smaller diameter gravel vac you need and smaller tubing. The one i use is about 3/8" tubing i believe. You clean the whole sand not just the top. Organic waste is not confined to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom