Added new ligthing...algae going crazy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added some new lights to my 10 gal nano, and my corals open up way more now and everything looks better, but algae is growing everywhere, and I have to clean the glass 2 times a day.

I use ro/di water for changes, and hardly ever feed, I just added the first fish two days ago....the tank is 6 months old.

I have a couple hermits, what else should I add to my cleanup crew?

I would say run a phospphate test, also check the kelvin of the lights to make sure they are in the right temp zone 7100k or higher ...Also with adding fish ect you will experience a small cycle as the bacteria will need time to readjust to the "new" bioload... I would say continue with pwc 1x a week and it should naturally go away for you .You may also wish to increase flow a bit and add new carbon to the filter .... HTH

You may not need to have the lights on as long now either. Snails would be a good addition.

I have a Cowrie in my 9 gal nano. When the algae started to grow too fast I put the Cowrie and a large turbo snail in, but took the snail out after it was under control. I have one Algae Blenny in each of my larger tanks along with snails. In my 55 gal I have a Abalone and a Pincushion Urchin. I still have to clean the glass every other day.

How many hours a day should I have the lights on?

The lights are 18" 96 watt 50/50 CF Coralife retro fit kit.

I might buy a phospahte test and see what happens....but all this started as soon as I added the lights, I am sure it has to do with them directley.

I want to get a better clean up crew.

I run mine from 10AM to 7:30PM (9 1/2 hours) . As for snails I have the Nassarius to stir the sand bed and and a couple turbos in mine they seem to do fairly well for us :mrgreen: HTH

make sure you test your source water for PO4 as well. I run my nano lights 7hrs a day.

The best method is use a high quality RO/DI water that is free of PO4. Feeding also contributes to the problem as most foods also contain phosphate. IF you feed frozen, thaw it first and rinse the food in ro/di water. If you feed flake, cut back on feedings a bit.

You can get a phosphate sponge . We use seachems phosguard (little box already in a pouch ) follow the directions . However phosphates are an indication usually of over feeding the 2 methods above are a bridge till you fix the problem at the source , with less feedings and increased water changes this will help reduce it over time ... If you only "patch" the problem it is likely to return ...
http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/PhosGuard.html

I do 25% PWC every week, and I use only RO/DI water from the LFS( I want to buy a RO/DI unit!)

Also, just an FYI......these problem arrose when I had not fed anything in the tank in over 3 months.

The fish has been added since that time. I am sure feeding it is not the cause.

Back
Top Bottom