Adding Pistol/goby pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcdragonfish13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 29 biocube and I want to add a goby/ shrimp pair. My current stock is a firefish, a bicolor blenny and a neon dottyback. The only reason I hesitate on purchasing a pair is the dottyback. The only thing he ever tries to attack is shrimp; a recent peppermint shrimp. I assume a pistol would be ok cuz of their cool claws lol, but Does anyone think it would be ok if I added a pair? Thanks for any replies! :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First, make sure you get a mated pair when you buy them, have your lfs place them in the same bag and acclimated them together. When you first release them into the tank the shrimp & goby will go to the nearest hole in your live rock where your sand bed is. If they make it that far i doubt you will have any problems as the shrimp does not come out except to either dump some sand out or grab sole larger sand particles to help build their new home. The goby will keep a lookout while the shrimp works on it, thats their thing!

They don't have to be a pair, and it's usually cheaper if they're not. Just add the second one as close to possible to the others burrow and they'll find each other

Thanks, guys. Does anyone know the best pair option?

Their are lots of combo's out there to choose from, i did the hi fin goby/pistol shrimp combo. Love the colors of both of them, look them up @ live aquaria to see pics.

I don't agree with bigred on this one, its not a guarantee that they hook up, i'm just talking about success rates and if you google them lots have had issues. My lfs does not sell them for more as a pair that individually, they just keep them together in their tanks so chances are greater they will team up..

Their are lots of combo's out there to choose from, i did the hi fin goby/pistol shrimp combo. Love the colors of both of them, look them up @ live aquaria to see pics.

I don't agree with bigred on this one, its not a guarantee that they hook up, i'm just talking about success rates and if you google them lots have had issues. My lfs does not sell them for more as a pair that individually, they just keep them together in their tanks so chances are greater they will team up..

Which species of pistol? I heard that the most common pairings are candy cane pistol/ hifin banded goby and yellow watchman/ tiger pistol.

I have the candy cane hi fin combo, but when i was searching the net their seems to be a lot of different combos

I have the candy cane hi fin combo, but when i was searching the net their seems to be a lot of different combos

Thanks! Is this combo particularly hardy? I heard candycanes are one of the less hardier species

I don't find any snapping or red banded shrimp hardy or not hardy, the main thing is keeping your nitrates down, don't use tap water as they don't like copper & keep un on water changes as they need iodine. As long as you keep up on proper maintenance they will be fine!

I don't find any snapping or red banded shrimp hardy or not hardy, the main thing is keeping your nitrates down, don't use tap water as they don't like copper & keep un on water changes as they need iodine. As long as you keep up on proper maintenance they will be fine!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom