Advice/suggestions on new nano tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!
So this is my first post ever on the salt side and I am quite excited! I currently have a 55g freshwater community tank and a 40g breeder for guppies and platies. I'm fairly experienced and have always wanted a salt tank. My chance came up a while ago when my fry tank started to leak... After a few days on internet trying to find a basic 10g, I realized it just wouldn't cut it.. I'm ready to give up my breeding and go to salt!

The thing is, I don't really know anyone into salt and what I hear scared me.. I did have a few people from the freshwater section reassure me, but not much...

Is it true that small tanks are harder to take care of than big ones? Is salt water that much harder than freshwater ?
I would like real corals, a clown fish (actually debating this because I haven't really studied any saltwater fish and might find another one that I would like better), a starfish, a nice shrimp and hopefully another nice colourful fish. I'm down to 2 tanks that I'm hesitating on : 16g biorb ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395473331.110694.jpg or a 6g fluval edge ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395473375.549375.jpg. Which one would be better or are they both too small? Any beginners advice for me ? Bigg thanks for any suggestion/advice, I really want to do this the right way and I need help! :)

Saltwater tanks are harder when they are small because water can change quickly. Go with as big of a tank as you can. I just set up a fluval edge 6 gallon. Daily top offs and weekly water changes will keep the water stable. It's harder because more time is required.

I don't mind the time it's really become a passion :).. I was thinking about it and I'm probably going to go withthe16g because it's only 70$ vs 160$ for the 6g.. I guess I'm just wondering if the roundness will be a problem.. I would love to go big but I'm in a big 3 1/2 apartment and I just have no more space than what I have now, sadly.. Stocking wise would the 16g sphere be a fairly good size for what I would be loocking for ?

I would skip the clownfish they need more room and they are actually pretty mean lol. What kind of starfish some will not fare well in a small tank. I would definitely choose carefully on that. Most sw fish need a good amount of swimming room but nano fish would be an option. I like to look at live aquaria for ideas.

Will do! I'll definitely look into nano fish, I do wants fish to be well.. I don't know what type of starfish I would like, I saw a nice pink one at my LFS but can't remember the name of it or find it online.. I have been told at my lfs that that star, a clownfish and a shrimp would be good in a 6g.. I thought it didn't sound right. I do in my fresh tanks 2 times week 25% water changes and spent at least an hour everyday on my settled tanks (right now I just look at them I actually miss a tad working on them and perfecting them). Should I just wait to move and go all in when I have the space ? Or could the nano be a good challenging start ?
Thanks!

Scratch that.. I'm ready for the challenge and ready to settle with a small tank and a limited fish selection :) I really want this! But I'm worried about the roundness and stocking.. Is 16g too small for fish to be well in saltwater ?

Hi there! I am a newbie to salt water you and am still doing my research into starting my nano tank! But with the biorb in my opinion it lacks floor space... And since nano tanks are mostly invert tanks and maybe one fish which ends up being a goby anyway and they need floor space too it just seems impractical IMO. Also cleaning the inside wouldnt be particularly easy either :/ I personally think that standard aquariums such as a 10gal or a 20gal look the best. You can aqua scape them better and filtration can be worked better and you can make your own over flow which seems to be a good way to go since there isnt a skimmer for the nanos. But yeah this is just me and my opinion :p hope the build goes well!

I would go with a standard tank as well. That orb looks tough to work in and get flow/filtration on. Petco will have $/gal sales occasionally also walmart/meijer type stores also sell standard tanks for pretty cheap

Hi there,

I had the exact same q's when I started my 3g pico :). Anyway, I agree with others here that the biorb would be rather impractical for starting a nano (particularly with "nano fish".)

May I recommend a Mr. Aqua tank, or a standard 10 or 20g tank? For a clown, you need at least 10 gallons (more is better, 10 will be ok but possibly cramped.) Also, a more conventional tank will be cheaper and give you better options for stocking + slightly easier maintenance (I don't think your average mag float would work on a biorb lol.)

Those Mr Aqua tanks look awesome! I love the 12 gal long ones! Shame i live in the uk as i cant get one here :(

Ok so I'll stop looking at the orb lol! The price was appealing and I liked the integrated filtration.. I've also started looking at invertebrates and appropriate stocking, I'm quite excited :).. But if I go with a flat tank, I'm probably going to go 15-20g.. I'll make room for it lol I'm just going to have to wait for a great deal online! Thank you all very much!

Back
Top Bottom