after the new lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a_b1301

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey,
i finally got things figured out and with help from the LFS ive been able to upgrade my lighting while keeping my original hood, here's how it looks now.DSCF8711.jpg
ive spotted a few things growing that weren't visible with the original lighting but im going to post that in the ID forum. and while im here could you take a look at my toadstool and check if you think it looks healthy. ive only had it about two weeks, its shed once and looks like its about to go again...is this normal, is it just getting used to the new tank??DSCF8710.jpg
ummm and should i have the bubbles switch on from my filter? i like the look but i dont know if its right or not?
thanks, andrea

Attachments

• DSCF8711.jpg
    DSCF8711.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF8710.jpg
    DSCF8710.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 66
He does not look too great. He might be just sloughing. He should have polyps sticking out on top. If not looking better in a few days I would seriously think about doing an iodine dip. Should look like this

100_0463-med.jpg

hey,
thanks. he looked brill when i got him back from the shop, opened back out really quickly. then he looked great (like yours) for the next week, then he closed up for a few days and shed its top layer then opened out again and looked brill, now he's closed up again. ive checked my water and the only thing that may be slightly off is the PH at 8.2. hopefully the new lights will make him happier, ive got two brand new T5s in there as of today.
i'll report back with any change good or bad, and thanks

8.2 is perfect for PH. Dont change a thing on that aspect. Maybe he`s just getting use to the new lights. If no change in a week let me know and I`ll tell you how to do an Iodine dip. Hope all goes well.

DSCF8716.jpgDSCF8717.jpg
hey,
i think he's better....he was just having a sulk. the first pic was 8am this morning and the second is just now....2pm.
he's ok i think :)
thanks for the advice tho
andrea

Attachments

• DSCF8716.jpg
    DSCF8716.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF8717.jpg
    DSCF8717.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 71
and its coming out even more...
now im looking for the next coral...any favourites that would make a nice addition???
andrea

i dont think his good looks are lasting, he's flopped right over today, gone looking all limp and wrinkled. ive check all the water tests and they are coming out as normal, spot on right. funny tho because there is a smaller toadstool that came from this one that i have higher up in the tank and he seems to be doing ok. the tank is only 14" deep with two T5s so it can't be lack of lighting down there huh?? wocha think??
maybe an iodine dip, or is it too late? or is he just moody???
thanks

They slough every couple weeks in my tank. It`s not a one time thing. They do this very often.

oh right, thanks....and phew!!
there is another little toadstool, with the head the size of a penny, that was also attached to the LR i bought the big one on. ive moved him to another part of the tank to try and balance it out a bit and he seems to be doing fine...so hopefully the bigger one is just sloughing.
thanks a lot
andrea

what lighting did you buy im looking for better lights for my tank

i got two T5 bulbs from my LFS, with a transformer....the LFS showed me how to fashion it to fit inside my current hood so it looks awesome. two T5s IMO is plenty for the tank ive got and will pretty much do me forever. the only down side to T5s is that u have to replace the bulb each year. you can find them online for a reasonable price tho. the other alt is LED lighting, which costs about the same to set up but doesnt come with as many fittings so you would have to sort something out for either elevating that above your tank or perching it on a home made cover. i hope this helps. if you have the same tank as me Interpet 64litre, i can give you more details about how i got the bulbs to fit in.
andrea

Back
Top Bottom