Algae after hurricane Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey my power went out during sandy and I lost it for 6 days. Luckily none of the inhabitants died and this is with water dropping down to the 50's and me heating it up manually and stirring the tank. All of a sudden I have a slight red hair algae problem on my sand bed and I'm wondering if the hurricane had something to do with it. Had the tank up and running since may with no issues. My only other thoughts are the sand bed is a little low (can I replace), I use my led light much higher now that I have corals. Can I get some advice as to which course of action I should take.

See what I mean

Attachments

• image-1301388545.jpg
    image-1301388545.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3091995674.jpg
    image-3091995674.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 103
Looks like red slime to me I dunno

Yeah me too

What's the best route to go to get rid of it?, what do u think can be causing it?, I don't have a protein skimmer but change water every week on 6 gallon, only use nutri-seawater except during hurricane when I bought salt water from LFS, sand bed is low, I use LEDs which aren't supposed to cause it to grow?

MikeGio said:
Yeah me too

What's the best route to go to get rid of it?, what do u think can be causing it?, I don't have a protein skimmer but change water every week on 6 gallon, only use nutri-seawater except during hurricane when I bought salt water from LFS, sand bed is low, I use LEDs which aren't supposed to cause it to grow?

Cyano feeds off nutrients just like algae likely the the 6 days of no flow allowed matter to decay in place on the sand and form the cyano. Another possibility is the fish stores water was less than clean.

Siphoning out the slime and doing a series of largish water changes with 0 TDS RODI should take care of it.

Test your water also. Full panel.

Ty, it all happened after the hurricane and that makes perfect sense..

Since the power went out those days I don't see any of the little critters, or worms, I wonder if they all died.

MikeGio said:
Ty, it all happened after the hurricane and that makes perfect sense..

Since the power went out those days I don't see any of the little critters, or worms, I wonder if they all died.

Not likely they all died but im sure the populations took a hit.

Back
Top Bottom