Algae growing on glass at ridiculous rate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have green/brown algae fully growing on my glass probably hours after I use the mag float what could be causing this?, I probably use the mag 2x-3x a day.

Your nutrient levels must be high. You'll have to find the source of your nutrient problem to solve the issue.

Your nutrient levels must be high. You'll have to find the source of your nutrient problem to solve the issue.

Tested for ammonia, nitrates, all normal. Led lights so I don't think it could be that. Weekly changes.

You'll never get the nitrate readings as long as the algae is there since it will mask the test by using it all up as its produced. Phosphates are the next if not the biggest problem in SW. Once again to get accurate enough testing of it can be difficult and to get the best most usable reading you'll need a digital tester like the Hannah checker. Try running some chemi pure elite or maybe even just some pure GFO for a few weeks/months and that should solve the issue for the most part. What's your filtration? Ro/Di water? Light schedule? Feeding schedule? Water change schedule? All these play a part in the equation which is why you'll here people say what works for one won't work for another always. Every little detail plays its part in the big picture so even identical equipment won't always give the same results.

You'll never get the nitrate readings as long as the algae is there since it will mask the test by using it all up as its produced. Phosphates are the next if not the biggest problem in SW. Once again to get accurate enough testing of it can be difficult and to get the best most usable reading you'll need a digital tester like the Hannah checker. Try running some chemi pure elite or maybe even just some pure GFO for a few weeks/months and that should solve the issue for the most part. What's your filtration? Ro/Di water? Light schedule? Feeding schedule? Water change schedule? All these play a part in the equation which is why you'll here people say what works for one won't work for another always. Every little detail plays its part in the big picture so even identical equipment won't always give the same results.

Only Ro water, led lights are on 8-2, then just blue till 430. Feed every otherday, fish usually eat everything and whatever drops peppermint shrimp attack. Aquaclear 20 filter, plus 2 powerheads in a 6 gallon.

I was just looking at my RO water and the container it's in had smelly brown algae in it, can that be it?

Thank u for the advice

Maybe. Do you have a TDS meter to test your RO water? Your cartridges may be depleted meaning your getting bad stuff from your source water. How old are the filters?

Maybe. Do you have a TDS meter to test your RO water? Your cartridges may be depleted meaning your getting bad stuff from your source water. How old are the filters?

No I purchase to water. The container I put the water in had algae in it.

Back
Top Bottom