algae on nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've recently started a nano reef and I'm new to the hobby, I'm a week into the cycling period and I've got brown and green algae growth on live rock and tank is this all part of the process or am I doing something wrong I'm also not sure whether to have my light on or not any help would be great

All part and parcel of the cycle... Probably just diatoms cause of the cycle process taking its course...

Would be good if you can attach a picture...

I would keep my lights on and run the normal light cycle as you would when the tank is stocked...

Are you using ro/di water? But yes they sound like the normal part of a cycle. Ro helps cut down the green algae growth.

Hi I've recently started a nano reef and I'm new to the hobby, I'm a week into the cycling period and I've got brown and green algae growth on live rock and tank is this all part of the process or am I doing something wrong I'm also not sure whether to have my light on or not any help would be great

I don't have access to ro water so I've been using distilled from my local grocery store and walmart. I had an awful outbreak of diatoms and hair algae that took nearly 2 months to clear up. I removed as much as I could by hand, did weekly water changes, added chemipure elite and purigen to my hob filter, bought a few snails and borrowed a huge snail from my lfs. Not sure which of those things had the most impact or if it was the combination of all of them, but my tank has minimal algae now and looks so much better. Patience is key, don't give up :)

I only wish I had algae at this point.... almost 3 weeks into cycle and still NO sign of any life in my tank! You are doing great :)

Thanks for the advice guys, yes I'm using ro water got it from my LFS its good to know that its all part of the process, I haven't added anything to the water at this point though do you think I should if so what's recommended, thanks

I only wish I had algae at this point.... almost 3 weeks into cycle and still NO sign of any life in my tank! You are doing great :)
It was almost a month before my diatoms started, which I was expecting. The hair algae wasn't far behind though, and that's what I fought so aggressively.

Thanks for the advice guys, yes I'm using ro water got it from my LFS its good to know that its all part of the process, I haven't added anything to the water at this point though do you think I should if so what's recommended, thanks

I wouldn't add a thing at this point. The only reason I did was to fight hair algae.

Back
Top Bottom