Algae on rocks and glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any ideas on controlling phosphates in a 5 gal pico with no sump? My rodi water reads 003 ppm and my phosphates are at .25. Just changed water this morn, cleaned the glass and the algae is back. Feed corals reef frenzy once every 3 days. Lights are on from 1pm- 830pm appreciate any help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your ro/di water shouldn't ever read in the ppm. You'll need to change the filters or resin.
As for feeding your corals, you are injecting your tank with phosphates by doing that. By not doing it, you won't be adding phosphates to the system.

Well I'm not sure about the ppm in my rodi. It read 003 from the first drop of water I ever made and I've heard that a tds meter can be off 003 + -. What do you suggest about feeding my coral? I don't have any fish just a cuc and cleaner shrimp.

I just planned on doing water changes every other day until I starve my hair algae to death. Would this work?

If they are photosynthetic, you shouldn't need to feed them at all. The light can provide all the food they need.
That plan CAN work, but doesn't always if there isn't manual removal during those water changes.

GFO, with reactor
SeaKlear liquid dosing, but you need a skimmer or filter
Brightwell E, Phosphate remover, skimmer or filter needed.
At just doing water changes, your never going to catch the numbers, unless you do very large water changes at a time.
Feed the corals all you want to, but you need a removal process for the excess food. Large skimmer and or phosphate removers.

Ok thanks for the info! I was thinking about getting a small hob filter, if 25% weekly water changes don't help. I could then put phosphate remover in a bag, in the filter, right?

Yup. You will have to watch the numbers once you throw in the bag. Once GFO is exhausted, it will not collect anymore, and your numbers will immediately start to climb again, so you will want to change the GFO as soon as you see the phosphate number stop falling.

Back
Top Bottom