Am I in the wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, I'm new to saltwater and I'm doing a fish-in cycle for my 4gal nano. I know, I know. But I figured it would be safer in such a small tank since I can do 25% wc daily without it being too much of a hassle. I've got a small goby and a scooter dragonet (who has plenty of pods) as well as a few hermit crabs. Right now my levels are: NH3 0ppm, NO2 0ppm, NO3 2ppm, sg 1.021, pH 7.6. I realize the pH is a little low, but I'm not sure how to raise it without buying a chemical additive. If everybody insists on me returning the fish, I will, but I think at these levels they're doing ok. Once the tank completes its cycle, I'd like to switch to dwarf seahorses.

That scooter will have to go. It first of all will need way more pods than a 4g can ever muster and it will grow too big. I just broke down my 4g pico and I kept only a clown goby in it and lots and lots of coral.

I have a scooter and it literally took me months to wean him off pod, i also have him in a 29g tank with a fuge for the pods to grow. He is now eating bloodworms and pods and getting quite fat. Mine is laready at least 3 inches long so thats the reason the tank is too small.

if you really wanna keep the goby then I would monitor the tank daily for ammonia and nitrites. Both of which are deadly as I'm sure you know. especially in a small tank things can go south in a hurry.

Not sure about the ph as it is very low, do you have any circulation on the top of the water? that helps raise the ph. I used plain old black fine sand and never had a ph issue.

Alright. I'll return the dragonet. Im using live sand substrate, but there isn't much surface agitation. I can lower the water level a bit to help that along. I was told the scooter would only get 1.5", but I assume that was just for a quick sale. Should I use a pH raiser to increase the pH? Or see what the surface agitation does?

I'd hesitate to dose anything in that small of a tank. I would try more surface agitation first.

When I bought my scooter they insisted he would eat anything I fed the tank. I got suckered. lol I even tried to return him but no lfs's would take him because of the pod eating thing.

I now carry around a small book listing all fish and another for all corals so I don't get taken again.

Here's a link on the scooter, it syas he will get to 5 inches!! That I didn't know. i will probably have tomove him out of my cube at some point if thats true....

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scooter Blenny

What kind of water are you using for top off and water changes. Do you mix your own salt or buy pre mixed? I have heard from many people that use tap as top of or mix to have ph issues.

What kind of water are you using for top off and water changes. Do you mix your own salt or buy pre mixed? I have heard from many people that use tap as top of or mix to have ph issues.

I am using tap, then dechlorinator and instant ocean. Should I be buying my water?

I would highly recommend it. It won't be very expensive as you have a small tank. It will also benefit you algae wise as well...:)

Well if you want the best for your tank Ro Di water is the way to go. With such a small tank I would buy my water that is ro di from any grocery store imo as a ro unit can be pretty price. Also with water changes at petco there is this real ocean water that got me through the first few months of my tank so I would recommend it. It comes in a 10gal box witch would last you a few water changes. Like I said above tap water has to much foreign matter in it.

Back
Top Bottom