Ammonia/Nitrite Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
After having another "mini-cycle" my water tests have shown
-Ammonia 0.0ppm
-Nitrite 0.0ppm
Everything appears to be healthy and I am wondering if I could possible add a cleaner shrimp, or peppermint shrimp if they are more suitable for a 10G setup. My temperature is very consistent, rarely changing more then 1/2 degree in a day. I still do not have a refractometer, but since the hermit crabs are doing fine does that mean a shrimp would also? My pH is not exactly matching up with a color on the test strip, but i figured it is around 8.4. When I do partial water changes shouldn't that make it 8.2? I am using Instant Ocean, but don't know if it is a worthy salt mix.

While I'm at it the two damsels I purchased from petco have to go. So does anyone know if Petco takes back for credit, or if they even take them back at all? I will then get a type of goby or mabey one clown.

Have roughly 3" of sand, would the yellow watchman goby be able to "stir it up"?

Most pet stores will take fish for free rarely get a credit unless they are fry. I would definately invest money into a refractometer before you invest money into any livestock. trust me on this. Instant Ocean is a lower end quality salt IMO (the salt discussion can get pretty intense for sure) ReefCrystals also made by instant ocean is a preffered salt as well as oceanic salt. Those 2 seem to be the most popular and for good reason. Are you testing all of the basic parameters.(Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate,PH,Calcium,Phospate,Magnesium,Alkalinity)If so post all of what you are testing if helps determine whats going on with your tank. I personally started a tank log 6weeks ago I record my weekly test results and any changes or happenings with my tank it hopefully will help to diagnose any problems I may have later.
Starting with a clean up crew is usually a good choice after you are used to controlling SG(refractometer helps with this hint hint) and your tank is cycled. Its easy to get excited and buy livestock as soon as your cycled ( I am guilty of this for sure) But as I learned taking my time will save me many headaches down the road.. hope this helps

This brings up another question I had what water parameters do I have to test for? Right now I am doing the four basics ammonia, nitrite, pH, and nitrate. I have made a list of all the test kits that I no are there and have found at least 15. Which ones are the most important to have right now?

Can you switch salt without it having affect on the livestock in the tank?

Where would you suggest to get a refractometer and which brand appears to be the best? Will ebay work?

Different salts have different affects but really aren't too different. Reef crytals is low in calcium where Oceanic has low alkalinity. There is no perfect salt. And the salt discussion gets pretty intense just remember consistency is the key. Which salt did you decide to use? I think instant ocean is the least favored of the bunch. Doesn't really have to big of an affect on livestock. When you get into corals then the calcium levels and such become a factor to consider. And buying a refractometer DrFosters&Smith is a good place to buy one for sure.
This is ideal levels for a reef tank 380-450 calcium, 8-12dkh alkalinity or 125-200depending on test method, PH 8.1-8.3, Magnesium 1250-1350, Phospate <0.03, Ammonia <0.10, Nitrate<0.20 If you are not doing reef you could probably get away with higher Nitrate levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom