Andrea's 29 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry lady. That's too bad. Just make sure to inspect your future LR as best you can before they stick they're hands in the tank to pull it out and everything recedes. Trail and error ?

What should I be looking for? I know what the aiptasia looks like, but what else?

Majano. It's another "weed" anemone. You won't be able to see bristle worms until the lights are off. That's when the little buggers come out but they're not all that bad. They keep your sand clean but you have to watch your feedings once your tank is established it they'll populate like crazy. Other than that you should be fine.

Well speaking of lights, I have some that I got with the tank, but i have no idea if they are what I need or not. I'd like to eventually have a few fish and some easy corals, so please help me out as far as my lights. This is what i currently have..

http://m.petco.com/product/118304/Marineland-Hidden-LED-Lighting-System.aspx

If these will not work, which i'm assuming they wont, then can anyone suggest some lights that will work? I'd really prefer to not have to hang anything, something that sits on top of the tank would be great. Also I do have a glass lid on my tank, so would i need to take that off for my lights to work correctly?

My stupid phone won't let me see the link very well, so I will have to wait to read more about it. Would i be able to leave the top on my tank with that light? Or do i need to take it off no matter what?

I'm not sure. You could possible get an acrylic top made to your tank specs and leave a small piece open in the back for the clamp. I had one mad for a client. It looked very clean* Ask your LFS if they make them.

Well I will take a better look at that light later. Aside from that i have a HOB filter, heater and a powerhead. Is there anything else i need to get right away?

First test results!

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.50 ppm
Nitrite 1.0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Salinity 1.25
Temp 81.1

Ok, is there a benefit to the cooler water or is that where its supposed to be?

That's where it should be. If you have fish in your tank and they ever get sick you can bump it up to about 81 to help them fight whatever it is but as soon as they're over it you need to lower the temp back down.

Honestly, I just plugged the heater in and left it on the same settings that the previous owner had it set on. Good to know though, I will lower it.

I never did add the raw shrimp or anything, should I still add something for the cycle?

What I do for my open top tanks is to make a screen cover to keep jumpers in. :) You want the open top to help keep your ph stable as well as your temperature. The maxspect light linked is an awesome one, not sure what your budget is though. If its outta your budget let us know, there are many options that are less and equally as good.

As far as the temperature, 81 is a tad high, I keep all 8 of my saltwater tanks at 79-80 but while you are cycling it wont make a difference. And just for the record, raising the temperature does nothing in saltwater to rid fish of ich or other illness, thats just for freshwater. Hopefully you will never have the ich issue, but if you do there are many great articles on this site to help. :)

Test results are looking good, what did you add for the ammonia source?

The maxspect light linked is an awesome one, not sure what your budget is though. If its outta your budget let us know, there are many options that are less and equally as good.

I do like this light, but what are some of my other options? I prefer something that I don't have to hang, and I'd also like something that would allow me to grow corals at some point.

Well it depends on your budget. I have t5's on some of my tanks and they work just fine for growing most any coral. they can be had for as little as maybe $100. Then there are the led panels that everyone has, me included, they run about $150 but you really have to figure out a way to hang them. T5's come with legs so they just mount on the tank. :)
The only downside to t5's are you have to replace the bulbs every year or so while leds are good for like 7 years and cost less in electricity. The t5's dont really cost that much for electric, but it is worth noting. If you go with a t5 fixture you want at least 4 bulbs, this will give you the ability to grow most anything. The only thing that might be iffy would be sps, or hard coral. Check out which corals you may like to one day get and you can go from there. Me, personally, I dont like the sps ones, they look like branches to me. lol I like the flowy and colorful ones.

Back
Top Bottom