Anemone in 4gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruffn82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me preface this because I feel like I may get a lot of hate for this post!

First, in my area there used to be a Petco, Petsmart, and 3 to 4 LFS (most of which specialized in SW)

Now all that remains is a Petco, Petsmart and one LFS that specializes in FW and one that specializes in SW.

The SW LFS is a family run business that has been around for 20+ years and I am kind of becoming friends with the owner. The store is kind of a hang out spot for some hobbyists in the area because the owner is extremely helpful and nice. All the guys give advice and the owner has helped me do some research before deciding on a tank.

In the shop, he has a small 4gal set up (aqueon evolve) with an anemone and a clown. I tried for a while to decide what setup to do but ended up wanting to copy that tank. Everyone online recommends waiting months before putting an anemone in a tank but the owner told me that he put the anemone in his right after the cycle and it looks great after its been up for about 3-4 months. All the guys at the store told me I would be fine doing this in my own tank as long as I was good about water changes and checking my parameters.

The owner even offered to try and pair a clown with a bubble for me while my tank cycled.

I know ya'll probably think he is trying to make a sale, but the store is about to expand, his store is the store of choice for the area, and he definitely doesn't need my business. Additionally, everyone in the store thought it would be a sound setup.

Ya'll were really helpful as I tried to decide on a setup last week so I figured I would bring my final question here to get your seal of approval before I made any decisions!

I might not be understanding this right, so correct me if I'm wrong please. He is saying the a pair of clowns and an anemone will work in a 4gal? And you can add it right away? Sorry, but there is nothing right about that. Even in a 40 gallon that wouldn't be the best thing to do at first. Anemones are extremely fragile and need flow, lighting, and good parameters. A 4 gallon tank can't offer that, especially with 2 other fish in it. Now, I don't agree with waiting a year for an anemone either, rather It should be when the tank is ready for it. Which means no sudden jumps in parameters.

They might not need your business, but why would you say no to an extra 50$ in your pocket? You can't judge them, although I do think its a bit unethical.

No, sorry let me clarify:

-A single clown, placed in the tank when small
-I meant that they offered to pair the clown with an anemone
-It would be placed after cycling and parameters are stable
-Nothing else would be in the tank except maybe snails

He said the flow may be fine and has been in his, but a nano circulation pump might become a necessary addition

Last edited:
Oh sorry, alright. Most people say the bare minimum for a clown is a ten gallon. Pico tanks (5 gallons or less) are good for small inverts and corals. An anemone needs a 20 gallon tank minimum according to liveaquaria. Anemones are animals too, and they get big. I'd say that it wouldn't work, sorry :/

The only way you could get an anenome is if first of all you were going to upgrade later and second if it is small like a mini carpet anenome or a very small condylactis anenome. They sell small ones at petco or ask your LFS to order you a small nem.

Back
Top Bottom