Aptaisia Anemone Problem!! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaqa88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is infested with these things!! They cover all my rocks and are stinging my corals! I have completely given up on reaching in and trying to remove them by hand so any solutions or ideas AT ALL I would appreciate.

Well, if you have a serious infestation, then a chemical based strategy may be your only chance of salvation. It's really not recommended to use chemicals in the tank, especially if you have coral, but if it has gotten to that stage where it's just getting ridiculous, then it may be your only choice.

You should go online or to your LFS and find a chemical product that is designed to eradicate aiptasia, but would do minimal damage, if any, on the other inhabitants of your tank. Also, if you decide to use chemicals, i would say be ready to do some serious water changes after you've waited the proper amount of time with the chemical in the tank to kill the aiptasia. Also be prepared to keep a close eye on your coral when you use the chemical to see if they begin to react badly to the chemical and show signs of any amount of stress. And if they do, LARGE WATER CHANGES. Do them immediately to prevent further damage on the coral. Also be aware that most aiptasia removal products contain very harmful products, even if they claim that they don't. Most of those chemicals are designed for FOWLR tanks with no coral, so there is little to harm when the chemical is introduced, so you need to do some serious research on the chemical you plan to use, and search for testimonials from other people that have used that product as well.

BEWARE: Do not try and crush or rip off the aiptasia as that will only spread them around your tank even more. You would have basically fragged the aiptasia and they will spread even faster. The torn apart pieces are like seeds and will spurt new aiptasia growth elsewhere in the tank.

Hope this helps.

There are plenty of chemical means to eradicate aiptasia, and most if used per the instructions are definitely reef safe. Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X, and Blue Life Aiptasia Control are some that immediately jump to mind. To use them, turn off all sources of current and then apply them as directed. Granted... if you do get them on a coral, you will damage the coral - but these products are easily controlled.

Another option (cheaper too) is to get yourself some kalkwasser and mix up a thick paste with some saltwater. Put several drops covering the aiptasia. The aiptasia will melt away and not come back. I believe you can find better instruction on how to make the kalk paste in Innovator's signature line. (Innovator is a member here on the forum.)

As Zero mentioned, do NOT manually try to remove the pests. It will not work, and they will spread all over the place. That was one of my very first mistakes in this hobby. I normally don't like chemical solutions to problems, but this is one area I make exceptions for. And there are many products out there that are completely safe and easy to use.

Aiptasia can be present in any saltwater tank.

[Edit: And yup... that photo in your image gallery is definitely aiptasia.]

Just to note, Joe's Juice and I'm willing to bet the others too, are nothing more than calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) in solution. Purchasing Kalkwasser separately is much cheaper and you get far more for your money.

if there big enough u can get a syringe with smallest needle available and inject them with concentrated lemon juice it 1/4 cc each (inject it in it body) the lemon juice is safe for aquarium as well good luck with them 8)

Back
Top Bottom