Aqua Media Yasha -- Store display tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob Morgan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been researching to get back into this hobby. Specifically a small nano tank. I had initially set my eyes on a Fluval Evo, but it was not available anywhere. Then started looking at a custom tank once we found a good location to place the tank..then ended up looking at the 45x45x45 Red Sea Nano Max... Amazing how quick you go from 36L tank to an 80L tank. :)

I went to visit the store who sold the Red Sea solution, and next to it was an Aqua Media Yasha, complete with a stand. This wasn't on their site or I'd of likely been looking at it. The size is what I had initially envisioned in my mind.

When I asked about it, turns out they had quit selling the model all together. They then returned with an offer I couldn't refuse -- about 80 USD for the tank + protein skimmer + stand + sand as it was. https://imgur.com/a/Lu11e

Considering the Red Sea was 900USD with stand.. felt like a safe gamble.

The tank itself was missing the return pump, and lights but otherwise appeared complete. -- the protein skimmer looked complete except the air hose.

I've just begun research into options to replace this, so far I haven't been able to source the original pump -- nanoprop 5000 . Nor could I find a workable pump at the two local LFS.

I have a couple questions:
1.) Is there any recommended pump that would work with minimal DIY on this tank?
2.) Did I get a bargain, or pick up a nightmare? :)
3.) What should I do with the sand? She poured what was in the tank -- i.e. been on dry display for god knows how long into a bag. There was also another bag of sand in the case. It had a small pinhole in the top... She said it was 'good' sand -- red sea aragonite .. It's never been in water, but at the same time exposed to general 'air' for a long time?!

The goal for this tank is corals, some invertebrates and either no fish or a single fish.

I've had some progress since this post. I was able to find the nanoprop 5000 from a UK retailer, and have it ordered. Also decided on the below.

Lighting - i've ordered an AI Prime HD -- 55watts is overkill, but from what I read it should be no problem to simply run it at lower usage. Also ordered the mounting bracket, hoping this will mount OK on the tank.

Live/Life rock - I've ordered Carib Sea Life rock - 9kg worth. To prevent foreign critters from hitching a ride going to avoid true 'live' rock.

Water - I ordered an aqua-medic easy line 90 to make my own RO water. -- not very practical to purchase the water from LFS.

Heater - Jager 25watt . I don't think i'll need much heat, and didn't want to oversize it.

Sand - Red Sea Reef Base Pink Live - 10kg

ATO - Tune osmolator Nano

Cycling - Going to use Red Sea Mature pro kit

Have I missed anything critical or made a mistake? Living in Sweden it has proven quite difficult to source items.. There is a couple local shops with fish+corals but as for equipment very limited options here!

I haven't found a good reservoir to use for the ATO. I'm hoping it can be in the cabinet under the tank.

Additionally as tempting as an Apex controller is, I plan to make my own rasberrypi type setup. Long term who knows how fancy, short term to measure temp + control electrical if it goes out of wack.. Like to also get PH or Ammonia sooner than later, but finding generic probes i can hook into a pi isn't easy.. I don't want to use seneye+windowspc+apis to do it.. but that's a whole other topic:p

I plan to stock the tank with primarily corals + inverts.. Maybe 1 fish, but definitely aware of the limited bioload i'll be able to handle.

Appreciate any feedback!

You got a good deal IMO !(y)
What are you doing to get the skimmer going or is run from the return?
They are pretty important to me.
Sounds like you are acquiring some very good equipment.
I know I 'll be watching this build..:cool:

I was able to find the nanoprop 500 at this site: Aqua Medic NanoProp 5000 Pump 103.050 | Fast Aquarium Spares from Fish Pets Reptiles

So i'll have the original return pump, which is what was missing. The protein skimmer was complete, or so I thought.

I was trying to test out the skimmer. The motor did nothing in a bucket of water.. Didn't hear a buzz or humm.. absolutely dead.

I took it apart.. notice anything missing?
JUJp2

Fortunately that same site has the impeller for 12EUR, so just ordered it. I debated ordering the entire pump, as it's only 23EUR.. but will start with the impeller.

No idea if the store took it out, some kid stole it, or what..

As for long term goal. Plan to use the stock protein skimmer it comes with, and the stock return pump. I have debated whether an additional powerhead could make sense to cause varying current patterns, but at the same time feels overload for a tank this size?

Quietest pump ever ! Hah ..Probably never installed since dry set up?
Ask where you got the set up if they found the impeller ! They may have a pile of them around?? Maybe go ask when you have the replacement so you can compare and pick a match?
Most shoot for 20 times circulation not counting flow on reefs I believe??
I agree choosing the proper one can be daunting . I like the DC digital controlled so you can easily adjust and keep hands dry. They also often programs built in for waves [pulse] ,ramping ,or constant flow.

Back
Top Bottom