asking about a protein skimmer and a power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Question with me having 2 hand on fliter one a 50 gallon the other a 20 gallon both bi wheels. 20 gallon run with bio wheel and fliter in it. 50 gallon runs with a bio and a nitriate bag and a prophere bag in it. i dont need a protein skimmer do i? plus whats the advanced of a power head? i have a 30 gallon tank do i need one?

Is the 50 gallon a reef tank? If it is, the answer is yes. Things that remove nitrate and other things do not remove the same things as a skimmer. A skimmer removes straight garbage from the water. I wish I hadn't just emptied mine so I could show you what comes out.

its only a 30 gallon tank but i have a 50 and a 20 gallon fliter running in the tank

this a setup i was sold and was told it would work. i mean i have 2 clown fish in my tank now. my tanks been running almost 3 weeks

i just have live rock in the tank i mean i plan on getting sea plants for the tank and all

It sounds to me like you are confused about some things. Marine plants are macro algaes, and a couple of actual plants. Then you have corals. If you plan on having corals, you will need a skimmer. If you are planning on only having fish in the tank, then you will not need one.

Did you buy the system as it was up and running I assume? If not, then your tank is not cycled and you are slowly poisoning your fish with ammonia and nitrite.

Yea I mean I had gootn live rock and cycled water and I let it run for 2 weeks before I even put any fish in the tank. And now I have 2 clown fish that are doing fine in the tank and have had them about a week. All my level are fine. I mean I have some brown algea which I was told I could just brush off with a tooth brush. I'm just wonding if I should look into a protein skimmer and a power head for when I want to get like a plant for my clown fish and all. I'm new to salt water

Look into a reefgium (misspelled) that hangs on the back. I have one from cpr that works good and it has a skimmer built in. as far as power heads go I prefer a the ones a company named I think korilla. There is another one too. But they are kinda egg shaped and they dont blow a jet of water it's more like a big push. You can plug them into wave makers too.

Back
Top Bottom